Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Fixing to Hebel

AaronGuthrie
Just Starting Out

Fixing to Hebel

Looking for some simple handy man advice - I'm looking to affix a dart board and wooden cabinet to an outside hebel wall.

All up it weighs about 10kg and there are 2 x hooks / fixing points.

Any suggestions on what type of screws I need?

Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Fixing to Hebel

Welcome to the Workshop community @AaronGuthrie. Thanks for your question, I'd be happy to assist with it.

I'd just like to confirm with you it is Hebel and not Besser block? Hebel is a soft material which expansion bolts are likely to crack. I would advise pre-drilling holes, then securing Zenith 6 x 100 x 14mm Galvanised Eye Bolts into them with Ramset Chemset Masonry Anchoring Adhesive Cartridge. Another cheaper alternative is to glue them in place with Selleys Liquid Nails Landscape, though it is not as strong as the Ramset product.

If they are Besser blocks, then a Ramset 8 x 45mm Dynabolt Eye Bolt will be sufficient.

If I can be of further assistance, please let me know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Great thanks Mitchell.  I can confirm that it is rendered Hebel (CSR) so I'll give the Zenith bolts a go.

Much appreciated.

Thanks

Actually, now that I've looked at the Eye Bolts I might need something slightly different as I have 'eyes' on the board, so need more of a hook on the end of the bolt (see pics)IMG_4430.JPGIMG_4431.JPG

Hi @AaronGuthrie. My apologies, I interpreted your question as you had hooks.

These Zenith 98 x 6mm Zinc Plated Ceiling Hooks should work in that circumstance.

I hope that assists and please do let us know once you have hung the board.

Mitchell

Amiol
Getting Established

For future visitors to this question on the forum, the Hebel Technical Manual lists many methods for fixing to Hebel walls for different load types:
https://hebel.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Hebel-Tech-Man-Pt5-Fixings-Finishes-Access-2.pdf

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Amiol 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining the discussion and sharing your knowledge with our members.

It sounds like you've had a lot of experience with Hebel blocks. Do you currently have any projects that involve Hebel blocks? I personally found out how different Hebel blocks were by trial and error. I was going to mount a dartboard onto the block and had assumed that an ordinary masonry nail would do the trick. Imagine my surprise when the nail and the head of the hammer disappeared into the Hebel block. It was a very informative day for me as I learned all about Hebel blocks. 

If you happen to have any projects on the go, please don't hesitate to share them.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects