Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Front path renovation

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Front path renovation

273504997_728233584781352_5955284734870521844_n.jpg

This is our front pathway, which was originally infested with weeds, poor quality grass, bricks and rocks from the previous owner. With our Cars always parked out the front, this strip is the primary walk way to our front door. To the left you see our single gate to our backyard, our fence and our letterbox. We also have one of the poles that is used for our front car port shade sail. Measurements are as follows:

Untitled.png

I've ripped the majority of the crap out, now just going through and taking stuff out by hand, but my wife and I are a bit stumped as to what we would actually do. I'm looking for a bit of design advice from people in here, as I've seen some fantastic people put forward some fantastic design options in this workshop. Only thing we'd agreed on is having some greenery along the fence. 

Looking forward to the assistance everyone! 

Remarka6le
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Help: Design Inspiration for Front Path

I look forward to seeing what the community comes up with @Remarka6le.

Let me mention @Allan72, @diy_hausdesigns, @weekenddiyer, @pete_brig, @prettyliving, @Nikkaz and @hazesnow, who has all successfully completed walkway projects. Hopefully, they'll have some thoughts.

Here's my attempt. I'm partial to @Jason's use of sleepers and bluestone rounds in his side yard project, so I've borrowed from him for the image below. @EricL might also be able to provide some inspiration. 

I'm keen to see what you do with the space. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

FYO.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

F3A74266-97F1-4B19-8BEB-291544F7EF94.jpeg

We used artificial turf down our laundry side of the house. Easy maintenance and looks good all year round! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Remarka6le 

It's great that you've received fantastic suggestions from @MitchellMc and @hazesnow. I've placed my suggestion below. Perhaps you can pick and choose elements from all three and combine them to design your front path.

If you would like to see it in another configuration, please let us know.

Eric

Remarka garden1.jpgRemarka garden2.jpgRemarka garden3.jpg

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

@EricL that's awesome, never thought of that approach. Would love any other configurations you can send my way :smile: 

Remarka6le
prettyliving
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Remarka6le 

Have you thought about putting lattice on the fence and growing something like jasmine along the fence? It would be a beautiful feature and wouldn’t take up too much space so you would still have a decent amount of room for a pathway/ pavers

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Front path renovation

Hey All, 

Using suggestions I gathered from the bunnings community, my wife & I got to work on our front path renovation. This is how we've gone. 

Before After 1.png

STEPS

After we finished taking out weeds and any loose material, we weed matted the walk space area, we then dug the trench where our sleepers and bricks at the bottom were going to be placed, and also dug out enough space for some concrete to be poured (which is also our first attempt at concrete). We then had 3 sleepers cut to size, leveled the two end pieces then cut and placed the middle beam and secured it all into place. We then placed a barrier where the concrete will be, mixed it by hand and then poured it. 

Next we placed a heap of sand down, leveled it out, then placed our large pavers down and positioned them how we wanted them to go. Once that was done, we poured a lot of Salt & Pepper stones down to complete the build, which ended up being 15 bags worth (we originally bought 6... our math was horribly wrong haha). Now I wait for the concrete to dry, the rain isn't helping it, but it is helping the sand and rocks to settle. 

Finished 2.pngFinished 1.png

Remarka6le

Hey @prettyliving

I'll most likely put a lattice up behind an empty section of the garden bed that we've made, I plan on having a frog sanctuary in there with some natives on either side. Just put up a post on what we've done so far :smile: 

Remarka6le
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Front Path Renovation

Hi @Remarka6le

Thank you so much for sharing the photos and building details of your front path. It's a great combination of the suggestions made from the pavers, pebbles and planting area. Have you decided what kind of plants you'll be putting in? I'm sure it will look fantastic once you put a bit of greenery along the path.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the planting section full of plants.

Eric

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Re: Front Path Renovation

Hey @EricL 

Not sure on plants yet, we're most likely going to pick up some natives from our local council nursery to help our local wildlife. I am wanting to put some sort of frog friendly space in there though. I'll post up anything we plant / build up in this thread :smile: 

Regards,

Mark 

Remarka6le

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects