Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Gas continues after switched off

ellis
Growing in Experience

Gas continues after switched off

Bought replacement gas bottle today from Bunnings connected to barbie via safety gauge.  Used for a few hours then turned gas off at bottle found gas still coming through Switched gas off at barbie  and disconnected gas bottle found no issue.Problem occurs when bottle is connected to barbie.I welcome suggestions\solutions                                Many thanks Ellis.                                                                                      

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Gas bottle problem\Barbecue

Hello @ellis

Thank you for sharing that question about your gas bottle. In these situations, I would err on the side of caution. I recommend returning the bottle to the store you purchased it from informing them that it is not operating properly and that you would like an exchange for the bottle. 

The second thing I suggest is to inspect your gas regulator/connector. Is the O-ring still intact or defective? Are the brass threads still in good condition or has there been damage? My only other recommendation is to look inside the gas bottle receiver before you plug the regulator/connector on. This is to make sure that there are no foreign objects stuck between the two. 

Let me tag our experienced members @MikeTNZ and @Adam_W for their recommendations.    

Please keep us updated with your progress,  we look forward to hearing that your gas connection is safe and sound.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ellis
Growing in Experience

Hi Eric

Thanks for the suggestions. Everything is working fine now.

Regards Ellis

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @ellis,

Just a follow-up on this,

What was the problem in the end?

Gas scares the hell out of me, hence why I still use a charcoal BBQ.

Was it something like a stuck open regulator?

Cheers,

Mike T.

ellis
Growing in Experience

Hi,MikeTNZ.

As sugested by Eric I inspected the gas bottle outlet and found a small amount of debris,a quick whisk around with wire bottle brush 

and problem fixed.Obviously the connection was not seated properly due to the obstruction.This is the first time i have come across  this so it pays to check.

Cheers Ellis

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects