Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

HELP needed , laying bluestone pavers 20mm thick

hk_Engineer
Getting Established

HELP needed , laying bluestone pavers 20mm thick

Guyz,

I am really in need to appropriate advice. I am running  low  on budget, but am getting bluestone pavers 60x40x20, on clearance and it's the amount I am needing . I got gravel all compacted and levelled.

So far so good .

Issue:

=====

I am told, if  I am putting sand base, it will be cheaper to install but I will be breaking stones.

To properly do 20mm stone, I need to get concreting done and lay it over it, that way it will remain forever.

I don't understand why I need to do concreting to get bluestone paver, that's double the cost, and concreting a 40 sqm area is costing me over 3500 as they need to remove the gravel in order to get it leveled and concrete poured accordingly.

I have asked an installer if he can do with sand and cement base, so it's more stable and he is like he needs a thick layer, since the stone is 20mm only.  so he needs to remove at least 30mm layer of gravel. making it another super high cost for installation due to the fact currently, the labor is skyrocketed.

I need advice as to what is the best and more stable way to do it . I spend money on gravel so I can lay them with sand base as DIY, but everyone has confused the hell out of me and wrecked the costs. FYI, I am building a pergola, and this pavement area is the flooring for the pergola. so it's outdoor, but shaded and mostly covered.

please provide suggestions,as all the tons of videos I have seen it's standard sand base.   The installers  say , these are videos only and doesn't show what happened after few months

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: HELP needed , laying bluestone pavers 20mm thick

Hi @hk_Engineer

Thank you for sharing your question about your bluestone pavers. Some of the conditions that cause a paver to break are compromised gravel base damaged by water runoff. Rainwater creates a channel beneath the paver causing an air pocket to form. When a person steps on the paver that has an air pocket in it, it causes the paver to split. Next is pave shifting, this occurs when you walk on the pavers repeatedly in the same manner. You'll notice the tile is no longer in its position, a tile with uneven support will compromise its stability and when stepped on causes it to break.

If you're installing the pavers all in one place in a brick-like staggered fashion, my best recommendation is to make sure that the pavers are locked into place to prevent them from moving. Using concrete is the best way to make sure your pavers stay and not split when stepped on.   

Make sure that the paved area has an adequate fall to prevent water from pooling in the centre.

Here are some handy step-by-step guides: 

• How to lay pavers. - ( you'll notice in this guide that they are using 20mm thick pavers )

Let me tag our experienced members @Yorky88 and @diy_hausdesigns for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
hk_Engineer
Getting Established

Thanks Eric,

Again, you are also recommending concrete, but the step by step again is sand base again. Which is confusing me

Of its not going to stay in place whats the point if doing sand base. In that scenario  I don't even need pavers , I can simply leave as concrete then

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @hk_Engineer

Thank you for the update. I understand if you only wish to use a sand base. If the gravel and sand base is prepared properly you can lay your 20mm pavers on it.

However, the gravel and sand may settle after some time so you must keep an eye out and do some maintenance on the parts that start to sag. By maintaining the level of the sand you should have a nice level floor. Please keep in mind that the general thickness of pavers is 40mm so it is able to carry more weight. Because you are using 20mm pavers, it will not be as strong and won't be able to carry as much weight. If your furniture is too heavy it will split the paver.

Please keep in mind that because you are using 20mm pavers using a compactor over them could cause the pavers to be damaged. 

My number one tip is to make sure that there are borders around the pavers to keep them from spreading out.  

Here is a handy step-by-step guide that uses a sand base: How to pave a pathway

Eric

hk_Engineer
Getting Established

Thanks eric,

The gravel is there for over a month so it can settle.

How to restrict the pavers with a border can u please confirm 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @hk_Engineer

I suggest using timber edging like H4 Treated Timber. It has been chemically treated so that you can use it on the ground. I recommend using Sleeper Pegs to hold the timber in place.

Eric 

hk_Engineer
Getting Established

Just checking ine guy suggested me ti get porcelain instead of bluestone,  as its more stronger n wo t bres at aĺ

Porcelain is one of the tougher tile choices on the market @hk_Engineer. It's denser and less porous than natural stone pavers, which is likely why your installer suggests them. If you are looking for a 'natural stone look' paver and want to use a more suitable tile for your requested installation, porcelain pavers would be ideal for your project.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects