Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Help with fixing the gaps in my outdoor patio paver

RazzleD
Just Starting Out

Help with fixing the gaps in my outdoor patio paver

Help! I dont know what the previous owners did but it appears they saw themselves as a handmade but not a good one. The first pictures are the walkway from the patio to the house.  The others are from our patio. We have talked about ripping it up and concert or laying a wood deck over top. But that not for another 5 years as other things are priority. The gaps are becoming a tripping issue and looks awful. I'm was to try and fix it as best as I can until we can replace it. From my research it seems the gap are to wide for paver or gap sand. And advice on how to fix the issue and what products would be best!!!

Thank you in advance!

20211011_165250.jpg

20211011_165333.jpg

20211011_165554.jpg

20211011_165344.jpg

e

RazzleD
Just Starting Out

Re: help with fixing the gaps in my outdoor patio paver!

20211011_165128.jpg

 one of the photos didn't load

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Help with fixing the gaps in my outdoor patio paver

Hello @RazzleD

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about fixing the gaps in your outdoor pavers.

In regards to your first picture, the gaps seem to be quite significant. Filling the gaps would require using a product that can fill at least 8mm. I suggest using a pressure washer to clear out the gaps between the pavers. I recommend using Dunlop 1.5kg Flexible Coloured Grout. It comes in a variety of colours so please choose carefully what colour you will use to match your small pavers.  

You'll need to use a Spear & Jackson 150mm Pointing Trowel to place the grout only in the gap as much as possible. Your pavers might absorb the colour of the grout. I suggest a quick placement of the grout and an immediate clean with a large sponge to avoid staining the pavers. Make sure that the area is dry and clean before attempting to grout the area.

In regards to your last picture, in your second post with the large pavers. I suggest a re-laying of the pavers. Time and the weather have moved your pavers from their original position. I recommend removing the pavers, re-level the ground and re-position the pavers as you had them before. But this time you can use Pave-lok or a traditional mixture of sand and cement to keep your pavers in place.  

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
RazzleD
Just Starting Out

Thank you.

I dont know what the pavers originally looked liked the previous owners did this work.

Is here any other option to having to relaying the pavers. This would be above my ability and I would have to pay someone to come in and do it. We want to replace them in a few years but we have a water heater, roof and new fence first to deal with. When we replace it we will do the patio and all paver at once so it's a huge job. 

I'm just want to do something as a quick fix that will look better the  what I have just to get us a few more years until we do this work.

Thanks again

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @RazzleD

You can use the same technique, I recommended for the smaller pavers onto the big pavers. To re-iterate, because the pavers are porous you must wipe off with a wet sponge the excess grout to prevent it from staining the paver. 

A simple technique to do the large pavers is to work in sections. You don't need to remove and do it all in one day. You can do it in small batches so that you will not get very tired. Say for example you will fix only seven to eight pavers a day. You could finish the area in 7 to 10 days depending on how wide and large it is. Unfortunately, we can only fill it with a gap filler like the one I mentioned. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects