Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Help with frame on new low-level deck

blade_666
Finding My Feet

Help with frame on new low-level deck

Hi All,

I am looking for some advise on installing my new deck.
The main two problems I have are the height on the slab I have only 81 mm and the downpipe.
I am wanting to do a picture frame but don't know the best way to support the deck around the down pipe.
Also I not sure on what size wood to use on the slab as I have limited space. The broad I will be using is ekodeck.
I have upload my plan on my placement of post. If anyone has some ideas that would be awesome.

DeckingLayout.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Help on new deck

Hello @blade_666

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining us and sharing your query about your deck.

With usable space of 81mm less the thickness of an Ekodeck Composite Decking which is 23mm. That will leave us a space of 58mm. If we were to leave an air gap of 8mm, that would leave us with 50mm. In these situations, I recommend using a Steel-Deck Frame. I suggest bringing the plan with you and ask the Special Orders Desk of your local store for a quote on just the slab area.

You can indicate the current conditions of the site such as the downpipe so that the engineers at Steel-Deck can accommodate it in their design. It sounds like an interesting project, any updates you can provide while building it would be much appreciated.

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration: Top 10 most popular deck projects

Let me tag our experienced members @Adam_W and @tom_builds for their recommendations.

Please keep us updated, we look forward to the start of your build.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
tom_builds
Making a Splash

Hi @blade_666,

And thanks for the tag @EricL 

Looks like a great deck project that you have on your hands, and will make a nice addition to your house I'm sure!

I think @EricL's suggestion of the steel deck is definitely worth exploring, as it will take a lot of the stress over desiging a strong enough deck while navigating limited space. A 58mm gap (after board thickness) is quite small to be trying to build a timber framed deck with adequate ventilation, as ideally you would be using 70 x 45 mm timber (installed to be 70mm high) at a minimum, with 90 x 45mm preferred.

In terms of supporting a deck around a downpipe, Bunnings team member @MitchellMc has provided a handy diagram for how to do exactly that in this post from the workshop community. Essentially you need to frame around the downpipe by running timbers between the joists around the pipe so that extra joists can be then connected in to these supports. However if you go down the steel deck path this should be able to be incorporated into the design, and not something you woud need to do for yourself.

Best of luck as you progress you project, and keep us updated with your choices and pictures of the finished product.

It seems that Steel-Deck does not have anything that goes that low.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Help with frame on new low-level deck

Hello @blade_666 

I'm sorry to hear that you could not get the size you needed in the Steel Deck range. I have searched in the Good Times Frame Modules as well, but none of them has the necessary depth for your project. Let me make a few enquiries and see if I can find an alternative solution to your decking frame. 

Let me tag some of our experienced members @LePallet@Peggers@Brad, and @ProjectPete for their recommendations.

Please keep us updated.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Where are you located @blade_666 ?

You'll find local decking and/or aluminium suppliers will be able to supply you with 40x40x3mm tube which you can then pack up to achieve your desired height.

If you're in Perth, WA I can help you out.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Hi @ProjectPete,

I am in Vic.

Could I go 50x50x3mm then I will not have to pack it as high.

Also what would be the best way to join them together as I don't have a TIG.

Thanks Michael.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects