Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Help with underground pond for water feature

Bernieovado
Just Starting Out

Help with underground pond for water feature

Hi. I'm wanting to do a water feature. The only thing above ground is sandstone blocks 3 or 4 on top of each other (secured to one another and the ground) with a hole drilled up the middle to fit tubing so it looks as though the water is flowing out of a hole in the top block over the edge then onto river type stones and disappears into the ground. Underneath is a water pond/reserve that catches the water and recycles it back up through the blocks. I'm doing a pebbled section /path from back of house to shed  and this will be part of it. I might put some large rocks near or around the s/stone block  with some sort of ground cover.  AND I want it so you could walk on the top of the underground pond as though it is solid ground. My aspirations outweigh my actual talents at times so i need help/advice/input/well informed peoples to help me out . Any takers in the brains  trust?  🦍

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: underground Pond

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Bernieovado. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for sharing your project ideas.

You might like to show us a quick sketch of what you were envisaging and perhaps upload some images of the area, so our members have a better idea of what you would like to create. 

I'd suggest you start by looking at our preformed poly ponds as this is where the pump will be housed, and they'll retain the bulk of the water. If you were to choose the Aquapro 1200 Rectangular Feature Poly Pond, you could then cover it with two Everhard Class A Galvanised Grate to Suit Series 600 Pit. These grates would be suitable for walking on top of, and if you select large enough pebbles, they won't fall through. There are other mesh types available, but they are not really rigid enough to be walked upon. You'd need to support them in the middle of the pond, which could be done with bricks or blocks.

It sounds like this will be a pretty impressive feature and to achieve a significant flow of water I would suggest something along the lines of an Aquapro AP2400F Pond And Fountain Pump. We also have solar-powered options if getting power to the site is an issue. I'd advise using a masonry drill bit to put the holes in the sandstone and glueing the blocks together with Selleys 415g Liquid Nails Landscape Stone Concrete Adhesive. Once the blocks are glued together you can run clear vinyl tubing to distribute water to the top.   

I look forward to hearing more about your project and following along with the build.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects