Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Homemade fire pit

Bundaboy
Having an Impact

Homemade fire pit

Using YouTuber Homesteadeconomic's tutorial I built this for under $100

DSCI0013.JPG

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Homemade fire pit

Looks fantastic @Bundaboy, well done! 

I'm sure you'll enjoy many fun times sitting around the fire.

What materials did you use?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Pretty much as in the homesteadeconomics video, cold rolled sheet steel, what he called masonery sand but is what I later discovered is paver sand (I used the coarsest sand I could find, which was totally wrong but it seems to have worked well enough and in all honesty, as I just laid this on the ground, it worked out better for me as it minimised any leakage, although the ants seemed to love it, I can always top it up with paver sand if I get any settling, but after nearly two years it has stood up well. The stones were left over gabion stones (I am working on a gabion fence - long story but I will get there one day).

As this is only ordinary steel, it obviously won't last forever, but it will outlast me I am pretty sure.

The only thing I would do again is to try and invent some kind of forming system to curve the steel sheet as it was very difficult to keep perfectly circular, and I am a bit OCD about those kind of things.

It's a brilliant, if rustic, design and I would thoroughly recommend it if you like that style.

Looks great! Well done.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects