Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Hot to build a conveyor belt for our very steep driveway?

ivanptr
Making a Splash

Hot to build a conveyor belt for our very steep driveway?

We often have garage sales on weekends, so we packed many our used items in cardboard boxes but we dont want the people drive up to our garage door for picking up the heavy boxes because with a very steep driveway and an occupied garage , only small cars can come up safely.

ivanptr_4-1644557178993.png

ivanptr_3-1644557096567.png

So we put the boxes into a plastic storage container, and slide the container down to the ground level for the neighbors to pick up and load onto their cars.

But the driveway is made of aggregate concrete, scraping the container, therefore over time bottom of our plastic containers get worn easily. This idea works well! saving us the effort of carrying the boxes to the ground floor. But quite likely the plastic containers couldnt last long. 

ivanptr_2-1644557065478.png

We want to modify this design by placing a durable 0.5 - 1 inch thick rubber / plastic layer or mat along the driveway so we can slide the boxes, just like those conveyor belt we see in airports. 

ivanptr_1-1644557019130.png

ivanptr_0-1644556833270.png

We tried weedmat but the weedmat is too thin. So there are still too much friction of the aggregate concrete gripping our boxes.

Know this is a challenge rarely seen in many forums.

Any ideas / suggestion are greatly appreciated!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Challenging DIY task - conveyor belt for our very steep driveway

Hello @ivanptr

I suggest building a rolling flatbed trolley. I recommend using Move It 20mm 15kg Fixed Plate Castor - 4 Pack. This will make the flatbed travel in a straight line. If you use the swivel ones it will turn, and it will not work. I suggest using Plywood for the base and Porta 40 x 18mm 2.4m Moulding Pine DAR Clear for the sides. Regular screws like Zenith 8G x 35mm Gold Passivated Countersunk Rib Head Chipboard Screw - 30 Pack will keep them together. I suggest looking at your spare timber at home, perhaps you have some leftover? You can use those to make the trolley.

Cut the panels to your preferred size and screw them together to the general shape I've drawn. Drill a hole at the back of the base for the rope. You can join two trolleys together if you wish. But not more than that as it will become too heavy to pull. Please note that the sizes I've placed are for reference only. You can modify not only the size but the shape of the trolley to your needs.

I've placed a drawing below, if you have any other questions we can help out with, please let us know.

Eric

ivan trolley1.jpgivan trolley2.jpgivan trolley3.jpgivan trolley4.jpgivan trolley5.jpgivan trolley6.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@EricL  Thanks Eric, it is a really brilliant idea. We will buy the material once we finish dealing with the flood in QLD

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Hope all is well regarding the floods, it's been a tough couple of days. @EricL has provided a great working design, can't wait to see what you come up with. 

Remarka6le
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ivanptr,

Check out the Syneco 580 x 290 x 100mm Movers Dolly while you are in-store. It appears to be much the same as the design @EricL is proposing, just slightly smaller. 

I'll add my name to the list of those waiting in anticipation to see what you come up with.

Reach out if you need further assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects