Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How I stripped back my deck

Jeanagh
Having an Impact

How I stripped back my deck

Merry Xmas everyone 

So, some of you may have seen a previous post asking 'how do I fix my deck?' You folks had some awesome suggestions for which I thank you. I stripped the old stain off with Intergrain timber stripper which worked really well (also learnt it is very slippery). Then cleaned it off with my Karcher, although this did chew up the wood but just a little.  Then, following your advice,  I hit it with 80 grit followed by 120 grit, my palm sander and my new toy, the orbital. It's taken me awhile (can't physically do to much) but I'm very proud of myself for what I achieved. Now hopefully the weather will be just right tomorrow for the first coat of jam.

20221209_164924.jpg20221228_073203_1.jpg20221209_164934.jpg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: how i beat my deck

Wow @Jeanagh!

Your deck is coming along beautifully, I am so pleased to read our Workshop members were able to give you helpful advice. I am sure your project will also inspire others as well. I am curious to know, what colour will stain your deck?

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

this is the part i have trouble with.  I can never seem to blend properly,  it always ends up streaky

20221229_074245.jpg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @Jeanagh,

The Redwood colour of stain will look beautiful! I had a review of @Adam_W's tutorial How to restore a deck and he mentions giving the stain a good stir (around 30 seconds) and not applying the stain on a hot or full-sun deck. This may lend to it being streaky as the stain is drying too quickly and not giving you enough time to smooth out your application strokes. Bunnings has a great tutorial on how to stain a deck that may have some helpful tips as well. Let us know if you would like further assistance with applying your stain. We would love to see your deck transform so please update us with an "after" photo. 

Katie

Jeanagh
Having an Impact

how i beat my deck

Good morning bunnings  workshop  community.  Well, if you've  seen the start of this project, you'll know it's taken a long time to finish. Finally,  the  weather was just right. The  2nd coat is done and dusted. It may not be perfect but then neither am I, but I'm very happy with it. Thank you to everyone that helped me with ideas and how to does. Very much appreciated. 20230116_150305.jpg

20230117_122225.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Well done @Jeanagh,

You should feel really proud of what you have achieved.

Let us know if you need a hand with your next project.

Jason

Jeanagh
Having an Impact

Thank you Jason, I am. It's very hard with medical limitations but I don't give up easily

I'm still doing my deck

Some of you may remember my deck project last summer where I was asking advice on how to do it.  Well,  just thought I'd put an update photo of where it's at.  It's nearly finished (need money)  but I'm very happy with what I've achieved.  I can only do what my health allows so it's a slow process.  Hoping to restain the steps and attempt to put some deck lights in (might be back for help with that) then finally some plants and furniture,  all by summer..... hmm

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: I'm still doing my deck

Hi @Jeanagh 

Thank you very much for posting that update. Your deck is looking fantastic and I'm looking forward to seeing it once you have the plants and deck lights in place. There are a few models available some with colour changing features and others that are solar powered. If you're feeling up to it, I suggest visiting the stores electrical department so you can see the latest models available.

Eric

Jeanagh
Having an Impact

Re: I'm still doing my deck

Hi Eric, thank you.  I've been to bunnings.  Think I prefer the Holman ones.  Then just got to figure how to install them.  I've got the hole cutting attachments so shouldn't be too hard. It's probably a bit cold to re stain the steps at the moment.  Does temperature matter? 

20230526_121117.jpg

20230526_121043.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects