Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How I stripped back my deck

Jeanagh
Having an Impact

How I stripped back my deck

Merry Xmas everyone 

So, some of you may have seen a previous post asking 'how do I fix my deck?' You folks had some awesome suggestions for which I thank you. I stripped the old stain off with Intergrain timber stripper which worked really well (also learnt it is very slippery). Then cleaned it off with my Karcher, although this did chew up the wood but just a little.  Then, following your advice,  I hit it with 80 grit followed by 120 grit, my palm sander and my new toy, the orbital. It's taken me awhile (can't physically do to much) but I'm very proud of myself for what I achieved. Now hopefully the weather will be just right tomorrow for the first coat of jam.

20221209_164924.jpg20221228_073203_1.jpg20221209_164934.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: I'm still doing my deck

Hello @Jeanagh 

Temperature plays a crucial role in regards to decking stains. If it is too cold the stain will not dry up correctly and get contaminated with moisture ruining the finish. If it is too hot it over accelerates the drying process causing the stain to stretch and tear. I suggest keeping an eye out on the weather and make sure to stain the panels when you are getting a few sunny days.

The Holman set looks good, plus you can control it with your phone which makes it very handy.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jeanagh
Having an Impact

Finally finished my deck

20231105_145456.jpg20231105_145442.jpg20231105_145424.jpg20231105_204302.jpg20231105_145424.jpgwell, I finally finished my deck. It only took 18mths ( health is very restrictive). It may not be perfect but I'm extremely happy with what I achieved. When I put the final piece of wood under the steps, it was very exciting. Thank you to everyone who gave me suggestions along the way, I really appreciate it.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Finally finished my deck

Thanks for the update and finished images of your deck, @Jeanagh. It looks fantastic, and I trust you are very pleased with your efforts!

Congrats.

Mitchell

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good morning @Jeanagh 

:laugh: "Cherring" seriously we should have an icon for "cheering" as I can feel your joy from here!

It looks great, and love the lights on the steps. I have considerd them for my deck but same reason as you $$$ gets reallocated :smile:

I never worry about how long a project lasts, its something we work away at bit by bit and then breath a sigh of relief when its done :smile:

I have just started doing "maintenance" on my deck :smile: and I am sanding the boards back, might take awhile but bit by bit is the rule. I saw your project and went "thats it!" :smile: Well done!

Dave

Thanks Dave. Removing the old stain and Sanding is where I started. I've learnt a lot since then.  You got this

I am indeed. Now onto the next job;  trying to get my water feature working

20191219_192456 (1).jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

What a lovely water feature @Jeanagh! Let us know if you need any assistance; we're here to help.

Mitchell

Unless you've got any clues on finding a leak in the liner?? I'm afraid I'm not able to move all the rocks anymore so going to move some and shine a light under the liner and try and see the whole otherwise ???

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'd suggest starting by looking all around the low watermark line @Jeanagh. The water will go down to the point where the hole is. If it drains until it is empty then the hole is right at the bottom and lowest point of the pond. If it drains until it's half full the leak is right at that line somewhere around the edge.

Mitchell 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @Jeanagh 

:smile: Crossing fingers for you. Thats a nice looking stream you have, hopefully you will find the leak. I hadnt even thought of @MitchellMc 's idea but makes sense as soona s I read it :smile: Shaking my head at myself.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects