Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How best to reinforce a bulging fence?

Berry
Cultivating a Following

How best to reinforce a bulging fence?

fence.png

6C88AA0B-DA78-4088-AB8D-DB431253BA31.jpeg

Hello, I’ve just moved into a 10 year old house with a fence line against a car park for a set of units. The horizontal planks on my side looks like they’re about to pop away from the posts due to the force of rocks on the other side. The rocks appear to have been added without any reinforcement on the neighbour’s side. I would love some advice about how best to proceed on my side - ideas so far are to add more planks over horizontal planks; reinforce where they join the posts with heavy duty metal connectors; or it can’t really be saved and so have to replace all horizontal planks and get neighbours to move the stones on other side? Any suggestions appreciated, thanks! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How best to reinforce a bulging fence?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Berry. It's amazing that you've joined us, and many thanks for your question.

Any method of preventing those boards from eventually popping off is going to lead to quite a convoluted solution on your side of the fence. As it is a boundary fence, generally, the two parties would work together to find a solution. In this case, the best solution for you would be for them to remove their rocks and repair the damage caused. However, given what appears to be a substantial amount of stone fill against the fence, I would imagine quite extensive work would be needed, including installing a retaining wall. The fence is currently being used as a retaining wall, and it is not of a suitable construction strength for that.

Let me mention @Adam_W to see if he could offer some thoughts.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Berry
Cultivating a Following

Thanks for the reply. I’ll discuss with the neighbours and hopefully they’re willing to address those issues on their side. Those stones coming through under the fence are probably going to get worse over winter with rainfall. Thanks again. 

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @Berry 

Hello and Welcome to Bunnings Workshop. I've run in to this particular situation before. I agree with @MitchellMc that perhaps a retaining wall will need to built specially if cars are parked nearby. However what I strongly suggest is to install a proper drain along the fence line. Due to the water getting logged in the earth and stones, it has slowly pushed the stones and earth against the timber panel. As the water got absorbed in to the timber it has made it soft and has bent it out of shape due to the pressure from the other side of the wall. Again something to possibly discuss with your neighbor. This will continue along your fence line where timber meets earth and water and you'll soon notice that in a few years your other panels will start to bulge as well. A proper drain will redirect the water from that spot and out to the proper draining area. Good luck and stay safe.

Cheers,

Red 

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Adam_W
Workshop Legend

A lot of things going on here @Berry 
If the fence is supporting the load of the gravel (i.e. - the ground level has been raised) that is technically illegal under council rules. It needs to be retained on the neighbours side.
You mention that it is a car park & this makes it doubly-so as that makes the load on the area what is called a 'live load' - one that changes and is higher than typical for above a retaining situation.
You will not be able to properly remedy this from your side. There is simply too much force on the other side.
I would be seeing if you can talk to a representative of the owners corporate as it may well be they have had some work done for them & are not aware that has not been suitably conducted.

Berry
Cultivating a Following

Thanks for the reply and its quite good to know others have had this issue! It sounds like I have a few things to raise with the neighbours. 

Berry
Cultivating a Following

Thank you, that’s really helpful to know about the council regulations. It’s pouring rain this weekend so I’ll be keeping an eye on those stones! 

No worries @Berry Maybe just make a phone call to your council & see if they can offer some information or advice. You don't want to get peoples nose out of joint by jumping straight to council inspectors going out.
Once you have the correct info you can chat with the owners-corporate.

Berry
Cultivating a Following

Yes I’ll tread carefully. Thanks everyone for the good advice 😊

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects