Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I clean and brighten this discoloured limestone wall?

Tinfinch
Just Starting Out

How can I clean and brighten this discoloured limestone wall?

image.jpg

image.jpg

  

We have this really ugly stained limestone retaining wall in our garden. It looks so dark and dingy. I’d love to paint or render it or something to brighten it up. Is this possible? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can I brighten and smarten up this discoloured limestone wall?

Hello @Tinfinch 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your discoloured limestone wall.

To refresh your limestone wall, I propose washing it with 30 Seconds 5L Outdoor Cleaner Concentrate in combination with an Oates Long Handle Deck Scrub Brush. Wash the surface clean with a pressure washer, you'll then be able to reach those hard-to-reach places on your wall. If you still have leftover hard stains, wash it again with the 30 seconds and give it time to work very well. Once you've given it enough time, wash the stone wall again with the pressure washer. 

The mortar between the stones must be scrubbed as well as they become porous as time passes. Once you've cleaned off the stone wall it's now time to decide If you are happy with the transformation, leave it as it is or will you paint the surface to give it a uniform finish? 

Please make sure to wear gloves, goggles and a dust mask when using the outdoor cleaner.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects