Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I fix my cracking letter box?

nparrella95
Cultivating a Following

How can I fix my cracking letter box?

Hi everyone,

I have had this letter box for just over 12 months.

Unfortunately the paint/coating over time from being exposed to weather presumably has started to crack and fade. 

I was looking to see if there were any solutions/ recommendations on the best way to fix this up? I was thinking about buying some exterior paint and re-painting the entire letter box. However unsure what prep would need to go into this? would i need to somehow remove all the existing paint? or would it worked if i used an orbital sander to sand it back, applied a new base coat then a top coat of exterior paint? 

Also unsure if this will hide the split marks and overall prevent it from happening again. any help or recommendations on how to fix this up are appreciated

:smile: 

thank you 

IMG_5799.jpgIMG_5798.jpgIMG_5797.jpgIMG_5796.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How can I fix my cracking letter box?

Hi @nparrella95,

Do you know what your letterbox is made out of?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
nparrella95
Cultivating a Following

Hi @Jason 

I believe the letterbox is fibre cement. 

thank you

WesBaker51
Growing in Experience

Hi @nparrella95 

I don't see anything wrong with your idea of a good sanding and then a double coat of exterior paint.

Should look good as new.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @nparrella95 

Thank you for sharing your question about your letterbox. Looking at your pictures, it looks like it's been rendered. The cracks that you see are a phenomenon called crazing. There are a number of causes for crazing, but in your case, I suspect it is extreme evaporation of water on the surface of the letterbox.

The cycle goes in this manner, you get heavy rain for a few days and then it suddenly stops and then you get extreme heat from the sun which literally bakes the concrete on the letterbox. This wet and hot process places extreme stress on the surface of the concrete and thus causing crazing.

If the cracks are not too deep, you still have the option of painting the surface of the letterbox. I suggest using Exterior Paving Paint, this type of paint is formulated to withstand all types of weather conditions and is very hard-wearing. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please don't hesitate to post them.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

nparrella95
Cultivating a Following

Thank you for the detailed explanation Eric, I will give that a go and hopefully fixes the problem :smile: 

The cracks arnt deep at all really so i suspect it to do the job! 

Keep us updated @nparrella95 and reach out again if you need further assistance. We're here to help.

Also, I'm sure our members will be keen to see your results once you've completed the painting. So, feel free to post some pictures.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects