Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I get paint off of my timber?

Emfrog
Growing in Experience

How can I get paint off of my timber?

I've just started to paint my re-furbished verandah and I have got white undercoat on the timber handrails and balistrades. It is a water based paint, and I have tried to scrub with it some soapy water, but there is still evidence of the paint being there. Is it possible to remove the residual paint and how? I wanted to use a Cabotts Aqua Deck to stain the floors, handrails and balistrades. 

20220313_171512.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can I get paint off of my timber?

Hi @Emfrog

I'm afraid soapy water and a scrubber will not be enough to dislodge the paint. I recommend using a Sander to remove the paint from your timber pieces. Looking at the photo it seems like your builder used pre-primed timber handrails. Unfortunately, the only way to remove the primer is to sand it all off. If you don't sand the railings the stain will not work on them.

I suggest testing one rail to see what kind of timber is underneath the primer. This will also be a good indicator of how long it takes to take the primer off. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Emfrog
Growing in Experience

Hi Eric,

I accidently splodged paint on the bottom of the handrails and on the gate. I want to use Cabots Aquastain for the rest of the timber in the colour natural. 

20220403_131234.jpg

 What grade of sandpaper do you recommend? I have since added a primer coat to all the panels and have now added some extra green paint :smile: 

20220529_152534.jpg

deluxe
Getting Established

Oil painting is best for out door. Paint sprint can

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Emfrog,

You can try using some acetone to remove the paint that you've got on the timber work. Remember to use appropriate PPE gear whilst working with this product. Please be advised that you could start removing the existing coating on the handrails. If you do remove it, then when you coat it over with the Aqua deck, you might see a difference in those areas.

If you're going the sandpaper route, you can use 240-grit, or if there is a significant build-up of paint, 120-grit would be appropriate.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Emfrog
Growing in Experience

Would the sandpaper be ok? It's only in very small areas and just teeny splodges here and there. I feel the acetone may wreck the timber too much and I want to keep it in tip top condition. :smile: 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Sure, you can use the sandpaper option @Emfrog.

Mitchell

Emfrog
Growing in Experience

Thank you! I will try the sandpaper and upload the result :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects