Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I make a thick, curved table top?

Bingo
Just Starting Out

How can I make a thick, curved table top?

I am making a coffee table for outdoor use on a covered patio. I wanted to make an irregular curved shape table top (like a pond or cloud shape) 40-45mm thick. 

I've seen several tutorials online where they did something similar using MDF boards, by first cutting the shape with a jigsaw and then glueing boards together to get the desired thickness. One example is pictured below. However, they all seem to have really messy looking vertical edges. I haven't worked with MDF before. Is this unavoidable when glueing boards together? Is it because of the irregular/curved shape? Or is it just a matter of not sanding the vertical edge enough?

I was planning on using 1 x 12mm and 2 x 16mm thick boards to get a thickness about 44mm for my table top. I thought I would cut the shape in the first board with a jigsaw and use that shape to stencil onto the other boards, glue and clamp them together, sand the vertical edge with an orbital sander, and finally round off the top and bottom table top edges with a router. Is this a good plan to get a neat finish? I would then prime and paint.DIY example from another creatorDIY example from another creator

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can I make a thick, curved table top?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Bingo. It's marvellous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about creating a tabletop.

MDF is a fairly soft material, and due to the action of a jigsaw, you could end up with a bit of a rough/fluffy edge. Sanding should resolve that issue, and a couple of coats of undercoat should cover the seams between the boards. You might like to fill the edge with timber putty to disguise the board seams if they are overly large.

You plan sounds similar to what I would do and should leave you with a neat finish.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How can I make a thick, curved table top?

Let me also extend a warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @Bingo. We're thrilled to have you join us. 

Great to see you've received advice from Mitch about your outdoor coffee table. It sounds like an exciting project - loving that inspo photo that you have shared. Terrific mix of style and function.

Please do let us know if you have any further questions and keep us updated as your project progresses. I'm sure our members would love to see the final look you create.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects