Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I paint over a fairly new Aquadeck finish?

Katherine1
Finding My Feet

How can I paint over a fairly new Aquadeck finish?

I want to paint outdoor rails and steps that have been treated with Cabots aquadeck. Is this possible, and if so, what is the best type of paint to use

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how can I paint over a fairly new Aquadek finis?

Hello @Katherine1 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about painting over an Aquadeck finish.

I'm sorry, but the only way to do it properly is to sand off the Aquadeck and wash the surface of the timber free of the stain. Attempting to paint over the surface of the Aquadeck is not advised as it would bleed through the paint and create a stain on its surface.

In order to shorten the sanding time, I suggest investing in an electric sander. The remaining general steps will be to wash the rail and steps to make sure that all the stain has been washed off. I then suggest waiting for the timber to be totally dry before you begin painting it.

In regards to the paint, I propose having a look at either the Dulux Weathersheild or Taubmans Sunproof. Both are for exterior use and provide excellent coverage. I recommend visiting your local store and having a look at the colour samples in the paint department.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric   

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can I paint over a fairly new Aquadeck finish?

Hi @Katherine1 

I also suggest attaching Anti Slip Tape on your steps so that it will provide a good grip when stepped on. This will provide a measure of safety as you go up and down the stairs.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: how can I paint over a fairly new Aquadek finis?

Thank you

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects