Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How deep do you need to cement decking posts into ground?

clolimiza
Finding My Feet

How deep do you need to cement decking posts into ground?

Hey Guys

We are building our second deck, (first one was built over concrete slab) we are needing advice on how deep do you need to have the framing posts cemented into the ground? The deck is going to be 6.8m by 3.9m, we have just had a patio built by Instaco and now wanting to finish it by building the deck underneath. I feel like we will have a heap of questions along the way so thought it would be easier to start our own post. 

20200926_112213.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How deep do you need to cement decking posts into ground?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @clolimiza. It's fabulous to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

Regulations for post footings are governed by your local council, so contacting them would be a good place to start. Below I have included an example image of what one particular council's requirement was for deck footers. You'll see in the plan that they were required to dig a 1200 x 300 x 300mm hole and cement the post in with a 300 x 300 x 750mm footer. They were then required to backfill the rest. This would be overkill in your situation but provide a good example of what regulations you could potentially need to follow.

As @ProjectPete mentions in that discussion, a "400D X 300W X 300W is sufficient allowing for compacted base, concrete to be poured under the post and all around it (100x100 H4).". This size is more likely what you would use in your circumstance.

You might be interested in these previous discussions that touch on deck footers:

You should also find this D.I.Y. advice helpful:  How to build a timber deck

Make sure you keep those questions coming, we are always here to help.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell, we went through and read all the posts about decking you suggested and currently ready to lay the decking.

Looking forward to seeing progress on your deck @clolimiza. Please post again when you have some photos to share or need any further assistance.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects