Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I attach an elevated deck bearer to concrete?

steff77
Getting Established

How do I attach an elevated deck bearer to concrete?

G’Day team. I am in the process of planning out a deck. The deck is approximately 4.6m x 3.6m.

The 4.6m end is along the back wall of a garage which is brick veneer. In the left corner of this there is a small concrete slab which is about 1.5m long of the 4.6m where I will be running a 140x45mm bearer. This bearer I need to sit approximately 75mm above the ground to account for the rising slope heading away from the garage wall.  

As I’m unsure about the capacity of the wall to hold a ledger board, I am planning to use stirrups in the ground, however I am unsure how to do this over the small concrete slab. Are there galvanised angle brackets which I could install that would allow the bearer to sit the required 75mm off the ground?

Thanks in advance!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I attach an elevated deck bearer to concrete?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @steff77. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about elevating a bearer.

Sounds like a good opportunity to use pedestal feet. They'll sit on top of your concrete, and the Builders Edge 70 - 170mm Bigfoot Xl Pedestal Feet will give you the required height. However, if you need this bearer hard up against the wall, the bottom of the foot will likely be obstructed. Are you picture-framing the deck, and will you use a joist over bearer construction?

Another option is to Dynabolt a series of heavy-duty angle brackets to the concrete and bolt your bearer into those.

You might like to read through this helpful guide on How to build a low-level deck.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi  @steff77 

Bunning  has a  huge range of post anchors and stirups that can go onto a slab or concrete or ground on a spiral thread.

I didnt see a 75mm  stirrup but there is a 65mm  verison you can always add a 10mm packer to

Pryda Post Anchor Full Stirrup 65 x 90mm M10 I/N: 1070039 $10.95

https://www.bunnings.com.au/pryda-post-anchor-full-stirrup-65-x-90mm-m10_p1070039

If you need to ask about load ratings of Elevated Platforms then you need some one to design it for you. Best to have a plan first so you   know what  parts to source and the qtys

Brick walls can hold a lot of weight the actual  weight capacity involves many variables which then needs to take into account in addition  the fixing methods to the wall all play intergral parts. Into the final load bearing capacity

Thanks for the response Mitchell, greatly appreciated!

I have considered using pedestals but I would like the bearer closer to the wall than a pedestal will allow, as the deck needs to be against the brick wall. I am still undecided on the finish, however picture framing the deck is the front runner. I have planned to run 140x45mm joists between bearers using joist hangers as I don't have too much height to work with. If I were to run a double width bearer along the brick wall (145x90mm, however that may be over-engineering the deck though) would you suggest continuing with the angle brackets, or using the 65mm post-stirrups with 10mm packers mentioned by @Jewelleryrescue ?

Thanks!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @steff77,

The reason why I asked about whether you are picture framing is that depending on the direction you're laying the decking, you might need a double bearer at the wall so there is enough width to nail off the picture frame and the ends of the decking. Otherwise, you won't have enough room on the single 45mm thick timber. Obviously, this won't be an issue if you are running the decking parallel to the wall.

I like @Jewelleryrescues suggestion of using the 65mm post stirrups and packers and prefer it over the angle brackets.

Mitchell

HI @steff77 

The stirrup option is a more conventional option, Good for direct  downwards weight bearing

Depending on your  deck weight requirements  and prefered layout  @MitchellMc  ideas will support a lot weight  and  help control any lateral movement too.  So feel  free to combine ideas  and solutions is best.

You can never over engineer a  raised platform unless it has super redundant features,  :smile:   

Nice  project enjoy .

Excellent, thanks for the advice @MitchellMc and @Jewelleryrescue . That’s got me on my way!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @steff77

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Jewelleryrescue and @MitchellMc. Please make sure to post a photo of your progress so that our members will be able to see how you mounted the bearer. I'm sure the information will come in handy for those who are planning on building their own low-level deck.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects