Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I built a frame for a swing set?

JennyBunch
Finding My Feet

How do I built a frame for a swing set?

We want to build a swing set frame. Our granddaughter has cerebral palsy, so we need to have seats that hold her upright. Bunnings have all the accessories we want to use but they cannot supply us with the frame to attach the accessories to so we want to build the frame

thank you

Re: How do I built a frame for a swing set?

Hi mitchell

i would like to purchase a Bunnings bird nest swing for my kids for Christmas and would love to know more about this draft frame you have created. Which materials would I need?  

Hi @Emmadawn24,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community and apologies for the slow reply. Mitch is currently taking a well-earned break.

How experienced are you? As per Mitch's previous comment, unless you are very skilled he would likely recommend you choose a pre-made unit like the Swing Slide Climb 7 Function Swing Set in the interests of safety.

If you would like assistance with materials for the build, let us know and I'm sure our other resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL would be happy to assist.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Emmadawn24 

I suggest using large Merbau timber if you are thinking about creating the swing frame. However, please note that this is not a beginner D.I.Y. project. This falls under the expert category as the structure needs to be able to hold weight in motion, plus dynamic forces applied to it from multiple directions.   

Poor angle placement, incorrect leg spacing will lead to the structure failing or toppling. It will also be necessary to anchor the feet to the ground with concrete footings. You'll also need to use engineering nut and bolts so that it can carry the weight and stress applied to the structure. 

As Mitchell mentioned in his post, by the time you have it built, it will turn out to be equal if not more expensive than the premade steel swing sets. I recommend having a look at the Swing Sets available on the Bunnings website. There are single and multiple swing set seats available. 

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you guys for your information. I’ll get my step dad who is a carpenter onto it as I only want one bird nest not the rest of them 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects