Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I keep the wood and metal on this scythe in good condition?

DianeTDoyle
Finding My Feet

How do I keep the wood and metal on this scythe in good condition?

This scythe has been in a shed for many years. I want to hang it under our pergola.

How do I preserve the integrity of the piece whilst preserving the metal and wood?

Many thanks for your suggestions. 

IMG20230720115034.jpg

IMG20230720115048.jpg

IMG20230720115026.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I keep the wood and metal on this scythe in good condition?

Hello @DianeTDoyle 

Thanks for sharing your question about preserving your scythe. If you want the timber to look exactly the way it is, I'm afraid it's not possible as anything we apply to the timber will make it go dark. When timber gets wet, it absorbs that wetness and changes the look of the timber surface.

Another issue is the dry mould attached to the timber handle. It will need to be removed in order to apply a varnish on its surface. Cleaning the wood will again change the look of the scythe. 

If you decide to go ahead and clean the wood, I suggest using Cabot's 1L Deck Clean. It will clean and rejuvenate the old timber handle, effectively preparing the timber for coating by removing dirt, oils, grease and other contaminants. I recommend having a look at Bondall 1L Gloss Monocel Gold Marine Clear Timber Varnish. It's made for the outdoor environment and is rated as a marine grade finish.

In regards to the metal parts I suggest sanding them down and removing as much of the rust as possible. Wash them in water with detergent so that you can see where all the rusty parts are. Once it dries off sand it again, once all the rust is removed give it another wash, let it dry and wipe down with a clean cloth and isopropyl alcohol.

Wiping it down with isopropyl will prepare the surface of the steel for painting. I suggest using Dulux 325g Duramax Gloss Clear Spray Paint on all the steel parts. Since this piece will be just for show, there is no need to prepare the steel for actual use.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your scythe preservation.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Eric

Many thanks for your quick and detailed reply. That information is exactly what I need with the steps and extra pointeres I need!! Most appreciated. 

Keep us updated on your project @DianeTDoyle and reach out again if you need further assistance or get stuck. I can't want to see your rejuvenated scythe mounted in position.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects