Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I orient Holman WS5029 Weather station outdoor unit

Ask_Itee
Growing in Experience

How do I orient Holman WS5029 Weather station outdoor unit

I have a WS5029 which has lost the sticker on the Wind Sensor to indicate which way it should be oriented towards north.  The manual has only a reference that assumes the sticker being present.

In the absence of the sticker how do I determine which side to point North?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I orient Holman WS5029 Weather station outdoor unit

Hi @Ask_Itee,

I can't seem to find the section in WS5029's manual that covers the orientation of the wind sensor. That seems a bit unusual. Perhaps we are reading different manuals? Or, maybe the sticker was self-explanatory, and it read "North". 

I'd imagine that there are a couple of options available to us. The first is that you manually calibrate the sensor, and the second is that you visit your closest store and have a helpful team member check where the sticker should go. It's likely going to be faster if you calibrate it yourself. If I understand correctly, you could use the indoor display to find out where it thinks north is. Simply rotate the wind vain until it reads north on the display. You can then mark your new location (where the sticker would have been) on the wind sensor for north. You'd then orientate the wind sensor, so your mark is pointing to the north.

Does that sound like it would work?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Ask_Itee
Growing in Experience

Calibration sounds like its worth a go.  I'll give that a try tomorrow - storms and wind in my area at the moment.

Indeed @MitchellMc 

That's how I calibrated my wind sensor on my 3D printed weather station.

Bear in mind the wind vane is likely to have 12 or less "sensors", so what I did was use a compass on my mobile phone to get it pointed north, then released it, and checked.  I also used an anemometer and an electric fan to calibrate the programming and direction detection.

I had to put a locking screw in the metal tube at the bottom of the stand to stop it being "nudged" easily.

Ask_Itee
Growing in Experience

From Holman Support :

Holman Industries (Holman Industries)

9 Feb 2022, 7:47 AWST

Hi Shane,
Thank you for getting in touch with us.
The north direction would be exactly aligned with the Ethernet plug.
Please see the photo attached.

Your Holman Team

Matt W

Attachment(s)
Screen Shot 2022-02-09 at 7.47.26 am.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Ask_Itee

Thank you so much for sharing that information. For a moment there, I thought that it would involve a lot of technical adjustment with the wind sensor.   

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your weather station fully set up and ready to go.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects