Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do i change a Colorbond panel into a gate?

Just Starting Out

How do i change a Colorbond panel into a gate?


How do I change the back panel fence into a swinging gate to gain access down the side of the house. 

Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do i change a Colorbond panel into a gate?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Empaul. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about creating a Colorbond gate.


In order to create a gate, you need the Colorbond gate styles and rails to suit the size of your gate. The styles, which are the sides of the gate frame, are a standard height of 1800mm to suit the sheeting. You then need to decide on the width of the gate (rails), and there are typically two options, 885mm and 1645mm. Hopefully, you'll be able to use the piece of fencing you already have to make your gate. You'll also need a post or solid mounting point on either side of the gate.


We can order the gate kit and additional posts through our supplier, Fielders. They need to provide a quote on the gate frame, so please see the team at your local Bunnings store's Special Order desk with your required gate size, and they can enquire with Fielders for a cost and then place the order for you.


Please let me know if you have any questions.




See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects