Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How does a deck like this be installed when the underground base is rough dirt & not level concrete?

JohnB1006
Just Starting Out

How does a deck like this be installed when the underground base is rough dirt & not level concrete?

No photos yet as I am a newbie as of tonight. We want to install a deck to the front of our place.  It will be across the front of the house but not very wide. It will also require steps to match up with the existing front deck and steps down from that deck to the new deck. 

Hope to sketch it out very soon & then get down to Bunnings to price all the required timber and deck props. 

Plan to use Merbau for the deck but am not sure about the posts and steps

Hope I get a few ideas from other members - everything will be appreciated,  Cheers, John

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How does a deck like this be installed when the underground base is rough dirt & not level co...

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @JohnB1006. It's wonderful to have you join us.

Do you need any help uploading images, or are you waiting for tomorrow when it's lighter to take photos of the space?

You may want to start by taking a look at some of the popular deck projects on the site, including @MGusto's recent low profile deck. They also started out with an uneven area and built steps. @Adam_W's How to build a low-level deck is also a valuable resource.

Our resident D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc will be happy to help with any questions when he's back on the site tomorrow. In the meantime, please let me know if I can help you with uploading photos or navigating the site.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How does a deck like this be installed when the underground base is rough dirt & not level co...

Hi @JohnB1006,

It's wonderful that you've joined us and many thanks for your question on deck construction.

For deck post installation into soil, you would set a Pryda Post Anchor Full Stirrup into a concrete footer so the stirrup is just above ground level. An H4 or H3 treated Pine post would then be bolted into the stirrup. The length of this post can be varied according to the soil level. If the deck is not of a significant height, you can connect the stirrup directly to your joists or bearers. You might like to consider the Otter 690 x 90mm Ground Screw Stirrup if you want to avoid installing concrete footers.

We have an amazing Wilmaplex Merbau Ezistep system that will make your stair installation a breeze. It's also available in a treated Pine option.

I look forward to seeing some photos and a sketch of your desired layout. Please keep us updated and reach out if you have further questions or need assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects