Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How far apart should I have my stirrups for a Hardiedeck?

starlord
Just Starting Out

How far apart should I have my stirrups for a Hardiedeck?

Hi team

I’m building a hardiedeck out the back of my house 10.5m by 5m. There is already pavers there that I am ripping up so it’s low clearance,

so I’m using 70#45 joist and 120#45 bearers.

having the joist at 300mm centres because the Hardie board is 3m long and don’t want any offcuts and planning on putting the bearers at 1200mm centres. What to know how far apart I should have my stirrups for the bearers? I was thinking 1200mm!

thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How far apart should I have my stirrups for a Hardiedeck?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @starlord. It's fantastic to have you onboard and many thanks for your question about HardieDeck installation. 

HardieDeck has no additional footer requirements than those of a standard timber deck. Your 120 x 45mm bearers are capable of spanning 1200mm, although the other consideration is soil type and there is no one rule to fit all situations. Your local council might be able to provide you with details on whether they have conducted a survey in your area. Once you know what soil type you have, you'll be able to determine adequate footer spacing and size.

Unless there are issues with subsidence in your area, spacing of 1200mm would generally be adequate. If in doubt, it's always best to consult with your local council or an engineer/surveyor.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects