Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add an ancillary line for adding pool chemicals?

bradpeart
Just Starting Out

How to add an ancillary line for adding pool chemicals?

Hi guys,

Has anyone tried to modify their pool plumbing to incorporate an ancillary line used for dosing in powder chemicals (salt, chlorine, ect). I'm looking at doing something like the attached picture and sequence of step. 

If you have done this, did you have any dramas with blockages? chemical taking too long to dissolve?

Cheers, 

Pool dosing.png 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to add an ancillary line for adding pool chemicals?

Hi @bradpeart

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about adding a plumbing line for pool chemicals.

I suppose if the chemicals were heavily diluted before they were poured into the PVC pipe it won't harm the PVC. Putting in undiluted chlorine strips away the interior lining of the PVC pipe and literally eats the glue that keeps them together. Hydrochloric acid on the other hand strips and softens the very walls of the PVC leading them to sag and break. About the only thing that will work is the salt, but you would need a very big pipe if you were tipping in a full bag.

I can't say how the other chemicals will react with the PVC plastic, but I don't recommend testing them as it may release the chemical compounds binding the PVC pipes into the pool water. I'm sure there are specialty pipes that can withstand this chemical onslaught, but I don't recommend linking them with your regular PVC pipes. 

Please make sure that you're wearing proper safety equipment such as gloves, goggles a safety mask and appropriate clothing when handling pool chemicals.

Let me call on our experienced members @Adam_W and @TedBear for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects