Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add an extension to this fence?

chewy
Just Starting Out

How to add an extension to this fence?

I want to raise the height of my side fence by a small amount (max 30cm or so) to hide a bit more of the view of the neighbouring house. It is a colourbong corrugated fence with a metal capping. The fence is double sided, eg looks the same on both our side and the neighbours', with metal capping approx 10cm wide that runs the entire length of the fence. Regarding the look, I like the idea of slats but am open to anything that works.

Thanks for any advice.

front face - back looks the samefront face - back looks the sametop metal cappingtop metal capping

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can i add an extension to this fence?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @chewy. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about extending a fence.

The simplest solution might be to use a product like 1800 x 600mm Pre-Oiled Merbau Garden Fence Panels or Lattice Makers 2400 x 600mm Mahogany Oriental Lattice and screw it directly into the internal posts and sheets with self-tapping screws. Both options would work well to limit the view over the fence whilst looking attractive. Alternatively, you could consider Matrix fence extensions, which would be another easy-to-install option.

Unlike standard one-sheet Colourbond fences, you can screw directly into your sheets as the screws won't penetrate the neighbour's side, so this should make installation quite straightforward.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to add an extension to this fence?

Let me also tag the wonderful @ProjectPete who wrote the guide How to add an extension to a Colorbond fence and has had lots of experience with fencing projects. He might like to add to Mitch's advice. 

Welcome to the community @chewy We trust you will get loads of help and inspiration from all our community members. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects