Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add patio drainage?

Sched7
Growing in Experience

How to add patio drainage?

I've just installed a concrete patio and after a heavy downfall the rain has highlighted where I need to place some drainage.

Based on the attached pic, I was wondering what the easiest solution would be to draining the water from the patio. I was thinking of digging down near the downpipe and adding a junction to the downpipe as well as a shallow drain placed next to the downpipe - this would allow both water from the gutters and patio run-off to flow to the stormwater.

Another solution may be to cut the downpipe and add an open grille drain below the downpipe and just allow any run-off from the patio to drain away too.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

01.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to add patio drainage?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Sched7. It's wonderful to have you join us. Please don't hesitate to post anytime you need a hand - we have helpful members sharing advice and inspiration on the site every day.

Could we please trouble you for some wider shots of the area so members can get a better idea of what you are working with and provide more specific and helpful advice?

I'll also tag helpful members such as @EricL@MikeTNZ, @Adam_W  and @JDE to share their thoughts with you on the best approach.   

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Sched7
Growing in Experience

Hi Jason,

Extra pics of the area in question: 

P1.jpgP2.jpgP3.jpg

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Sched7,

Looking at your pictures, I think you're right in the idea of using a grille type drain, there are a few types of these around,

maybe look at something like this from Bunnings:

Everhard Easydrain 

Just bear in mind, when you go to install anything like this, there needs to be "fall" towards the drain end.

You will need to have some sort of an "interface between the end of the drain unit and the downpipe pipework.

Let me know if you have any other questions regarding this, I'm more than willing to help you get this sorted.

Cheers,

Mike T.

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Just a note,

I linked to the NZ Bunnings website, therefore the prices will be quite different.

Sched7
Growing in Experience

Thanks Mike - appreciate the advice. Will look into adding the Easydrain to the edge of the patio.

If I go this route, I was thinking of doing the following:

P4.jpg

Either that or just connect the channel drain to a 45degree junction tapped into the existing downpipe.

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Sched7,

No worries with the advice, but I think you've got the absolute right idea there, with that large collector below the downpipe.

For two reasons, firstly, I have no idea why there is a collector up under your existing spouting, unless there is more than one set of spouting feeding into it, otherwise it is a complete waste of time and money.

Secondly, the collector should have been installed at the base of the down-pipe originally, the reason you have a collector, is so that the down-pipe

does not air-lock and flood the pipe during heavy rainfall, it needs to be able to vent to atmosphere.

The way you've shown in your last diagram will be perfect and will also allow you to clean any leaves and whatever may block things up.

Top marks, mate, I'd like to see this when it's finished.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Sched7
Growing in Experience

Cheers Mike. Interesting point re the collector location - out of the 9 downpipes around the house, 2 have the collector box at the top. The one in the pic is indeed being fed from 2 gutters however the other one isn’t, so not sure the reasoning for installing it that way.

Hopefully by the end of w/e I’ll have a better idea of which solution I’ll eventually end up going with once I’ve done a bit of digging - will post pics.

Cheers

Colin

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Sched7

It's fantastic that you've received excellent advice from @MikeTNZ. His recommendation of using the EverhardEASYDRAIN is spot on. But just to be on the safe side, I suggest checking with your local council on the rules and regulations on linking with the existing drain system. Some states require that a registered plumber perform the linkup. 

Please make sure to remember to put a fall on the drain to prevent standing water from forming in the drain. This would also be a good time to take into consideration what you'll be putting on the other side of the drain. Will you be putting back the old pavers or will you be placing turf on the other side?

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Sched7
Growing in Experience

Thanks for the advice Eric. Good point about the council - will check before I start.

At this point I intend putting the pavers back but maybe with more gravel/stones around to help with drainage.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects