Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add patio drainage?

Sched7
Growing in Experience

How to add patio drainage?

I've just installed a concrete patio and after a heavy downfall the rain has highlighted where I need to place some drainage.

Based on the attached pic, I was wondering what the easiest solution would be to draining the water from the patio. I was thinking of digging down near the downpipe and adding a junction to the downpipe as well as a shallow drain placed next to the downpipe - this would allow both water from the gutters and patio run-off to flow to the stormwater.

Another solution may be to cut the downpipe and add an open grille drain below the downpipe and just allow any run-off from the patio to drain away too.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

01.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to add patio drainage?

It's great to see @MikeTNZ has got you heading down the right path, @Sched7

Please let us know if you need further assistance with your project or have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to add patio drainage?

Hi @EricL,

That is a really good call on your part, regarding the Council approval, I'd completely forgotten about that.

Over here, I believe you only have to have approval where you are increasing the size of any storm-water capacity into their system.

But yes, I have no idea how that works in Australia and I would hate to give the wrong advice.

Especially with Councils, you don't want to be "found wanting" if they start asking questions, get their advice first.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects