Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add protection and privacy to patio?

Sugar
Having an Impact

How to add protection and privacy to patio?

Hi 

I just finished my Patio tiling project. 

The project can be found here: https://www.workshop.bunnings.com.au/t5/Outdoor/How-to-lay-tiles-for-patio/m-p/145879#M19703

Currently, my patio has these curtains but I don't like them as they are lightweight and don't perform well when the air blows.

Sugar_0-1685362304335.jpeg

Sugar_1-1685362318277.jpeg

Are there any other alternative options. 

After mid-day, this side of the house faces intense sun light. Hence, I would like something that blocks sunlight as well as cold while having BBQ on the patio during the evening/night. 

Also, I have a neighbour on this side of the house, hence would like to have some privacy also. 

Thank you in advance. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to add protection and privacy to patio?

Hello @Sugar 

I can think of three ways you can cover your newly tiled patio. First, you can modify your existing cover by adding PVC pipe at the bottom of your shades and attaching hooks to the floor. This will prevent the shades from moving in the wind, however, this will require a bit of D.I.Y. on your part to make sure that the hooks and holder work with your existing shades.

The next method is to have a look at the Bistro Blinds 1800 x 2400mm Clear Crank Blind. This has all the hardware included so there is no need to guess what parts you'll need to anchor it in place. I suggest taking measurements of the area and see which ones are suitable for your patio.

The third option is to use Bistro Blinds SHADE 120X240CM BEECH BI1224SB. This is similar to the Bistro Blind Crank system, but it has a PVC coated Polyester mesh, this Shade Screen provides you with privacy whilst reducing glare by filtering out the sunlight. You can also purchase a Bistro Blinds 270cm Mill Wall Anchor that will prevent the blind from swaying in the wind.

Let me call on our experienced members @redbournreno, @lifestylebymari and @craftyhopper for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects