Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add shade to your home?

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

How to add shade to your home?

Shade solutions like cantilever umbrellas and window blinds are practical and stylish ways to keep your home cool and protected. But how do you know which option is best for your needs? 

I found these guides useful when I was contemplating purchasing awnings for my home to beat the heat this summer: A buyer’s guide to outdoor shade options and How to incorporate shade into your home. These pergola and outdoor shade designs also contain inspiring D.I.Y. ideas. 

I'd love to hear if you have any additional tips or experience in adding shade to different parts of your home.

Tagging @sandy_d@Egbert@tom_builds@Dave-1 and @Jimi to kickstart the discussion.    

Akanksha

How to choose shade options for your home.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to add shade to your home?

Morning @Akanksha 

I love the idea of shade, I have even watched the different level of shade cover creeping across various parts of the yard over the seasons.

The slatted roof (concertena) that can be tilted is my favorite idea, followed by the canvas sheet hung on runners underneath a pergolla trellis. That way you can pull it back during winter and the wind and leave it out during those hot summer days.

My pergolla and also my side privacy screen both have been designed for bringing shade to particular areas. The privacy screen is high so the shadows start early in the afternoon of the courtyard late winter early summer, the deck next to the pool is high and gives shade to 1/3rd of the pool from 2pm onwards steadily covering the direct sun into the afternoon. I also have trees over the pool that give dappled light (yeah scooping leaves out constantly but worth it)

The only one I really wouldnt go near is that canterleavered awning that can be wound back to the house. For some reason wind and that type of structure makes me hesitate. 

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects