Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to adjust a pool gate latch?

Kelly5
Just Starting Out

How to adjust a pool gate latch?

Hi we have a Bunnings pool gate that closes on a freestanding post, there has been a slight movement in the post therefore the gate runs into the catch before the magnetic mechanism and is not closing correctly.  Isthere a way to adjust the gate hinge or catch?  

Kelly 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: pool gate afjusmtnet

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Kelly5. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about adjusting a pool latch.

There's often fine adjustment in the latch to keep it working perfectly. However, depending on how much and in which direction the post has moved, adjustment of the latch might not solve the issue. Is there any way you can return the post to the original position? If you can provide details of the latch mechanism, I can try and locate instructions for its adjustment.

If the latch itself is running into the catch, then it sounds like it's quite out of alignment, and realignment should be made to the post. If you can provide some images showing the point of contact, I can evaluate how badly out-of-alignment it is. Let me know if you need a hand uploading images.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

213E0C2B-2217-4F50-A142-8A98882E0CFC.jpeg

8EB65730-880D-4461-AE6A-F0CB3D7538FA.jpeg

5DAD9F21-D068-4999-9550-B5CFEF0A2D05.jpeg

    

Thanks Mitchell here are some photos would appreciate your thoughts. Kelly 

64D01757-8855-4042-9440-241A4878CD16.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

If you push the top of the hinge side post outwards away from the latch side, does it resolve the issue @Kelly5? If so, the simplest solution might be to attach a bracket to the wall, push the post back to the upright position and then screw it to the bracket. Fixing the top of the post to the wall so it's perpendicular to the ground should eliminate the issue. I suspect the post is bending over from the weight of the glass panel.

Mitchell

No unfortunately it is attached to a solid wall

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

So that post is connected to the wall at the top where I've placed the red arrow @Kelly5? If so, I'm unsure how the gate would have dropped out of alignment. Normally, the gate's weight causes the post to bend slightly, dropping the latch side of the gate down. But, if the post is perfectly upright and fixed in position, the only other thing I can think of would be the gate hinges that have shifted.

You could potentially lower the latch mechanism of the post next to the spa to align with the new position of the gate.

Please be advised that glass pool panels can shatter easily if struck with a hard object or mishandled. Remember to wear your PPE when working on them, including safety glasses, gloves, a long-sleeved shirt and pants, and enclosed footwear.

Mitchell 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects