Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to apply lacquer when renovating a pine table?

oldgunnie
Just Starting Out

How to apply lacquer when renovating a pine table?

How do apply lacquer on to a newly sanded pine table, brush or roller?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: renovating a pine table

Hello @oldgunnie

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about renovating a pine table.

Traditionally using a paintbrush was the only way to apply varnish to furniture. Furniture oil and wax were wiped onto the furniture with a cloth. Later on, dedicated paint rollers and paint sprayers were used to get an even superior finish. It all depends on how much you are willing to invest into your project and other projects thereafter.   

Using a purpose-built brush such as the Monarch 63mm Woodcare Paint Brush gives you a brush-free finish with its unique filament blend. However, there is also the UNi-PRO 100mm Little Ripper Mohair Gloss And Stain Mini Roller Set 4mm Nap which has been created with Mohair to give you a smooth finish. To get a total brush or roller-free finish I recommend the Wagner W100 Wood And Metal Paint Sprayer. It is ideal for small to medium-sized projects where high-quality precision painting applications and control matter. It sounds like a fantastic furniture restoration project, any updates you can provide while painting it would be much appreciated.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to restore wooden furniture

Here is a link to a beautifully upcycled piece painted with a brush: Hamptons upcycled TV unit by @DanaR 

Let me tag our experienced members @TedBear and @Brad for their recommendations.

I've also included a video on using sprayers.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects