Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach Matrix screens to Colorbond fence?

truptidave
Getting Established

How to attach Matrix screens to Colorbond fence?

Hi. I have this project in mind for more than a year but all the logistics held me back. But having find this forum I think i am going to do it. I have done the reaserch and read few posts and here is what I come up with. 

The purpose of the post is to gain confidence and what i have learnt and all the materiel i am going to use. And then learn more tricks and pointers to do it right. 

I am choosing https://www.bunnings.com.au/matrix-1800-x-900-x-7mm-off-white-tangle-screen-panel_p0227888 to go across the length of 5050mm (see photo one). I will use 5 panels. I will leave 10 cm gap between each panels. 

I am hoping to install https://www.bunnings.com.au/porta-40-x-18mm-2-4m-moulding-h3-treated-pine-dar_p8480458 on colourbond fence post using https://www.bunnings.com.au/zenith-10g-x-40mm-galvanised-self-embedding-head-metal-screws-winged-50-...  on the top and bottom. I will paint them to match fence. I will install them 15-20 cm away from top and bottom of the fence. 

Then install actual said panels using https://www.bunnings.com.au/otter-12g-x-35mm-matt-black-class-3-hex-head-screws-90-pack_p0162368.  See photo 2. 

Questions : 

1. Do i need https://www.bunnings.com.au/matrix-off-white-c-channel-frame-kit-for-1815-x-915mm-screens_p0227893 if I am using above method? or any other similar product?  pls post a link if u suggest so. I don't want it to bend or buckle and look shabby. In terms of look I am okay without frame. 

photo 1photo 1photo 2photo 2 

2. How far from top and bottom of the fence I should install timber ?

3. I want to be creative and install solar fairy light behind the panels in way that you cant see fairy light - but just light. Any comment of suggestion? 

4. I am hoping to hang plants on them. should i worry about it taking weight? How many ?  may be small 5 -7 plants weight..

5. I see most people doing black panels only - any reason? I know personal preference is imp but if any other reason would like to know. I choose white as I have dark decking and white panels will uplift the decor. 

any general comments and feedback would be welcome. My skill set for DYI is very basic so anything is welcome. 

Thank you 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: matrix-1800-x-900-x-7mm-off-white-tangle-screen-panel to colourbond fence

Hello @truptidave

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your Matrix panel installation.

The Matrix Screen Panels are 7mm thick and will stay rigid if installed on a timber frame with enough screws. The channel frame kit is only necessary if the panel is standing up by itself with only bottom support. But because you are attaching the panel to your fence at the top and bottom you won't need the frame kit.

I suggest keeping the timber at least 50mm from the bottom of the fence. If you are mounting the panel just shy of the ground then this will be enough space for you to mount the panel onto the timber frame. As for the top piece, I suggest mounting it at the very top, since the panel is 1800mm you'll need the timber frame at the top as high as possible.    

If you're installing LED lights, I suggest planning it very well and making sure that the set you install is for outdoor use. Once you have the lights installed you can then place the panels in front of it. As for the plants I suggest finding another spot to hang them, although the Matrix screen will hold the weight, however, as time passes it will start to bend and deform the panel. 

One of the reasons that a lot of people install black is because it hides dirt and blemishes very well and does not require constant cleaning. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your Matrix panels installed.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
truptidave
Getting Established

Hi Eric 

Thank you so much for your kind and comprehensive reply. Sounds like it is shopping time...

Can you confirm all screws and things I listed are right materiel? Once again thank you so much... 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @truptidave

The parts you've mentioned will work nicely with the Matrix panel and the Colorbond fence.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

truptidave
Getting Established

Thank you! I will post photos 

npiroddi
Just Starting Out

Hi Eric.

I am hoping to use the same method as described to install Matrix on our colourblound fence. However stuck on the best option to use for a curved section. 

do you have any advice on how we might tackle the curved section of our fence with installing the Matrix?

image.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @npiroddi

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about the Matrix panels.

In this particular setup, I suggest cutting the mounting timber in angles to slightly conform with the turn of your fence. The Matrix panel does have a bit of flexibility in it and can turn to conform to the bend of your frame. However, if the turn is too severe, I suggest cutting the panel and mounting it onto the angled frame. The edges of the panel can be joined together using angle brackets and screws. 

I've placed an image of the timber mounting bracket below to give you an idea of how to put it together. Please have a look and tell me what you think.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

truptidave
Getting Established

Hi Eric

Finally i got around to the above project. 

I bought all except timber that needs to be mounted to the fence. 

The one i mentioned in my post is not available in stock foe weeks. 

Can i use instead https://www.bunnings.com.au/200-x-50mm-2-4m-treated-pine-sleeper-h4_p8032702

So much on clearance but i dont know which one to use. Pls help. 

I will pick up at Marsden Park. But also can go to rouse hill 

I m excited to start and finish this. 

Thank u. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @truptidave 

The 200mm x 50mm is too big and heavy for your Colorbond fence. I suggest going with the 70 x 35mm Outdoor Framing MGP10 H3 Treated Pine - 3.0m as it is light enough to be mounted, but strong enough to hold the Matrix panels.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the start of the assembly.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects