Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach joists on the end of bearers?

mharper
Getting Established

How to attach joists on the end of bearers?

Hi, I am building a low deck with inline joists using joist hangers (to keep the height as low as possible).  As I am picture framing the decking, I need to have the end joist right up against the end of the bearers.  What is the best way of attaching these end joists as there is obviously nowhere for the joist hanger on the outside edge?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to attach joists on the end of bearers

Great to see you make your first post on Workshop @mharper. We're pleased to have you join the community and look forward to seeing exciting progress on your deck project. 

Have you seen the guide How to build a low-level deck by @Adam_W? I'll also tag Adam so he is alerted to your question.

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site.

Welcome,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @mharper,

If understand correctly I believe that you'd create a butt joint and screw through the bearer into the end of the joist. You can then use Pryda Multigrip Stainless Steel 100 x 35mm or Pryda Minigrip Stainless Steel 57 x 35mm on the internal corners for additional strength. If you were to draw a simple diagram of how you need the timber mounted I could possibly provide additional information.

I look forward to hearing from @Adam_W on the correct technique to use.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had questions.

Mitchell

Thanks Mitchell,

I have attached some photos that hopefully will help clarify - the photos show the 150 x 75 hardwood bearers that I have already mounted into the stirrups, with the 140x45 joists sitting on the top at the moment but will be mounted in line once I figure this out.  I am putting double joists on the ends of the bearers as I am putting a 'picture frame' around the decking.  I have got the joist hangers but am just trying to figure out the best way of attaching the end joist and I am not keen on bending the joist hanger around and nailing into the end grain of the bearer.

Hope that all makes sense :smile:

20200828_162828.jpg20200828_162835.jpg

Hi @mharper , ah, ok. I see what you mean from that pic.
What I would do in such a situation is to use the same hardwood around the entire outside edge to create a bearer frame for the joists to go inside.
Then I'd put stirrups under that extra bearer. Or you could put taller stirrups under that edge joist. Is that an option?
You can't really fix securely into end grains in any way that would be structurally sound.

The only way might be to use two very, very big coach screws through the hardwood into the joist (they'd need to be at least 50mm into the joist), then add gangnail plates from hardwood to pine and internal corners as @MitchellMc suggested. Messy & dubious about how well it would stand up over time.
Honestly... I'd be adding the extra hardwood on stirrups. Screw into the ends to just secure & internal corners to keep them tight.
Better to use the right way than a hack.

mharper
Getting Established

Thanks @Adam_W ,

Really appreciate the help. I was thinking along those lines but hoping there would be an easier way out. I will pop on down to my friendly neighbourhood Bunnings and grab some more stirrups and concrete. 

Once again thanks for the quick help everyone. 

Cheers

Mark

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

How is your decking project going Mark (@mharper)? It would be great to see what you've done. And please don't hesitate to post if you need a hand with anything.

Jason

mharper
Getting Established

Hi @Jason , 

Thanks to everyone for their help - one deck completed in time for Summer and one happy Wife (which is probably more important!).

Had a few little hiccups along the way but managed to muddle my way through them.  Used composite boards for the decking which was a slightly different process than I am used to.  Had to factor in getting the edges of the boards flush with the edge of the bearers so I could put some fascia around the edges to hide the rebate in the boards used for the mounting brackets.  Was not made any easier by the fact the bearers were slightly bowed so ended up having to pack out portions along the side to mount the fascia, but got there in the end.

20201005_165610.jpg20200923_112627.jpg20200924_172513.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

No wonder your wife is happy @mharper, it looks fantastic. Well done!

Thanks so much for the update. We are looking forward to seeing what you tackle next. Please don't hesitate to post anytime you need a hand or have something new to share. 

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects