Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach lattice to Colorbond fence?

unawarek
Cultivating a Following

How to attach lattice to Colorbond fence?

I was thinking of adding some 2.4m tall plastic lattice (https://www.bunnings.com.au/matrix-2410-x-1205-x-5mm-charcoal-plastic-reeded-diamond-lattice_p005690...) to my Colorbond fence to screen out the neighbours (their house is slightly higher than ours and just about overlooks our whole backyard). The idea is that the lattices would add an additional ~60cm on top of our current fence and completely block them out.

I've read the other posts about attaching screening to Colorbond, and was planning to attach these 30 x 18mm H3 pine (https://www.bunnings.com.au/porta-30-x-18mm-2-4m-moulding-h3-treated-pine-dar_p8480432) to the Colorbond posts using 10G x 40mm screws (https://www.bunnings.com.au/zenith-10g-x-40mm-galvanised-self-embedding-head-metal-screws-winged-50-...), and then attach the plastic lattice to it. 

I was just wondering if I can attach the lattice directly to the timber, or would I need to use frames like these (https://www.bunnings.com.au/matrix-2410-x-20-x-10mm-stone-screen-panel-accessory-slim-frame_p0172394) to support the lattice? What kind of screw should I be using to attach the lattice to the timber, and would I need to drill pilot holes into the timber to firstly attach it to the metal post, and secondly the lattice to the timber?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Attaching lattice to Colorbond fence

Hi @unawarek

Thanks for sharing your question about attaching lattice to your Colourbond fence. I suggest having a quick look at this discussion - How to install a Matrix Decor screen to a Colorbond fence? by @firenevac. In regards to the slim frame, it is only necessary when the lattice is installed in a long vertical manner. The slim frame serves as a support to prevent the lattice from swaying. 

Mounting the lattice directly to the timber is possible, I suggest using the Otter 12g x 35mm Matt Black Class 3 Hex Head Screws - 90 Pack or similar. Its wide head should provide ample support to hold the lattice in place. Drilling pilot holes is always a prudent step and will prevent splitting in both the lattice and timber pieces you'll be using.   

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your lattice fence extensions installed.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
unawarek
Cultivating a Following

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the advice! Knew I could count on you to provide all the information I needed. :smile: 

I came across the Colorbond fence extensions (https://www.bunnings.com.au/colorbond-steel-340mm-domain-fencing-post-extension_p0910756) on the Bunnings website, but I think it wouldn't be as straightforward to install as the panels I want to extend are stepped (on a sloping ground). Anyway, here's an image of what I'm planning to do:

Picture 1.jpg

   

Did some measurements and realised that I can probably get away with 1.8m tall lattices, as I'll still have about 30cm worth of lattice protruding from the top. The red lines are the 2 pieces of timber I'll screw into the posts. I'll put 2 of the lattices (in yellow) side by side to span the whole Colorbond panel, and probably do the same for the panel to the right of it. I have 3 more questions:

1) How many places should I secure the lattice to the timber? Would 4 corners be sufficient or should I do as many as possible?

2) From an aesthetics point of view, would it look better if I have my lattice follow the stepped fence, or just have it level the across the 2 panels I'm planning to have the lattice attached to? 

3) Do you have any tips on making sure the timber is level as I attach it to the posts? I always have issues drilling holes and attaching things together and having them level. A hose reel I mounted on my brick wall is slightly askew because of this... Thanks!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @unawarek

I suggest a minimum of four screws per timber piece, one screw every 400mm. However, if you wish to put more screws on, you can reduce the distance to 200mm per screw. From an aesthetic point of view in my opinion it would look better if you followed the stepped fence, it will give your fence a unified look. My only recommendation to keep the timber nice and straight is to use a spirit level. Once you have it in place mark its position with a pencil and do pilot holes at the end of the timber piece so that you can mark the fence where you need to drill.

It will be tedious and will take some time, but it will guarantee that your timber installation will be nice and straight. I can understand that it feels like it is taking too long and you are not making progress. Don't give in to the temptation of just winging it and going faster, the final results will speak for themselves.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

unawarek
Cultivating a Following

Re: How to attach lattice to Colorbond fence?

Just thought I would post an update with the finished project.

2.jpeg

1.jpeg

I used this H3 42 x 18mm timber across the posts as it was cheaper and I thought the colour was a bit closer to the colour of the fence and would help hide them a bit. I also just used a single 2.4m by 0.6m timber lattice horizontally to extend the height of the fence. The lattice was attached to 2 horizontal pieces of timber, one at the bottom and one about mid-way up, with one screw every 20cm or so along the whole lattice - hopefully that's enough to support it. We might add some artificial hedge tiles to the lattice to get even more privacy.

Thankfully everything looks just about level. Had some issues with the metal screws to attach the timber to the colorbond posts... some screws tended to wander around a bit before cutting into the post. Is there anything I should be doing to avoid this in the future?  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Looks excellent, @unawarek! Well done.

To stop your self-drilling screws from wandering, you can mark the locations where you want the screw with a centre punch. Just give it a slight tap with a hammer, and it will leave an indent in the steel. Your screw will then self-centre in the dent and not wander.

Many thanks for sharing your results.

Mitchell

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Can't go wrong with @EricL & @MitchellMc's advice, this is pretty much how we attached a lattice to our shed. Well done on the successful outcome :smile: 

Remarka6le

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects