Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach ledger board to concrete patio?

Henryarcher
Just Starting Out

How to attach ledger board to concrete patio?

F62407C6-31D1-4264-B3C1-28B81B394FA5.png

806AA199-CC5B-4FDE-8113-3A18D2ADB3BC.png

I’m in the process of building a deck (4.8x 3.0) and I would like to attach a ledger board/ waling plate to the existing concrete patio. However the issue I’ve come across is there is about a 50mm overhang from the top of the concrete meaning the ledger board will sit underneath and have no room for the joists to sit on top. Im using 140x 45 TP. 
The only solution I can think of would be to laminate 2/145x45 and attach that to the concrete with dynabolts (20x160). I have thought about using posts instead and have the deck freestanding, however due to stormwater there is no option to have posts in the corner. 

Does anybody have any advice or solutions to this? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: ledger board advice/opinions/help - attaching to concrete patio

Hello @Henryarcher

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about attaching your ledger board to a concrete patio.

I can see your dilemma with attaching the ledger to the wall with a concrete overhang. Would cutting the concrete be an option? You could hire a concrete cutter to trim that lip off and it would solve that issue. I would suggest using a steel "L" beam but this option requires the services of an engineer and is expensive. Laminating the 145 x 45 together would be a cost-effective solution and you won't have to use anything special to build your deck.

Let me tag our experienced members @Adam_W and @JDE for their recommendations.

Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing your ledger fixed in place.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects