Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach shade cloth from roof side to Colorbond fence?

littlediyman
Finding My Feet

How to attach shade cloth from roof side to Colorbond fence?

Hi All, 

Just wanted to know what I can use to attach a shade sail from the roof side (I was planning to use a fixing of some type to fix under the gutter area shown in picture 2) to the top rail of the colourbond fence (shown in picture 3).

Picture 3Picture 3Any help would be great as its my first DIY project in the home.

Picture 1Picture 1

Picture 3Picture 3

Picture 2Picture 2

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to attach shade cloth from roof side to colourbond fence

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @littlediyman. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about attaching a shade sail.

Strictly speaking, neither of those two locations is appropriate to have a shade sail attached to them. The Colorbond capping is not a structural member, and I'm not quite sure what that board is under the gutter. Is it timber? If so, you'd be better off attaching directly to the brick wall. 

If this is just a small shade sail, then you could likely get away with attaching Coolaroo Shade Sail Pad Eyes in both locations. You should find this step-by-step guide useful: How to install a shade sail.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@MitchellMc Thanks for your response, I wanted to install the shade sail the whole length but may not be a good idea without some posts, the piece underneath the gutter is the same material as the gutter.

Cheers

Eric

Concreting in suitable posts would be the way to go, @littlediyman. If that is just steel flashing, I'd suggest using the wall as the anchor point.

Mitchell

Hello Mitchell

@MitchellMc  @littlediyman 

I know this post, the one I've come across while researching ways to put shade cloth from my exterior  roof line of my house to the adjoining boundary fence/Colourbond as @littlediyman  was trying to get information on late last year earlier this year.

I am in the same situation, but actually have a few pictures to share that may give @MitchellMc  a clearer picture of what I think ?? @littlediyman  may have been trying to ask of you Mitchell?? not 100% maybe @littlediyman  can confirm or deny if this is what he was trying to explain and if so how did you get on @littlediyman ?? 

I have seen this done many ways, but the one my neighbour has, which is super strong, with the shade cloth supported and attached to aluminium braces, every 500/600mm was there when they purchased their home so he doesn't have a clue..Pitch from house to fencePitch from house to fenceOpps, My side of house veiw that I want to do the same some how?Opps, My side of house veiw that I want to do the same some how?Front adjoining Fence viewFront adjoining Fence view

My neighbour has it on his side of the fence which makes it difficult for me to do the same as he has utilised the top of the adjoining fence.  Some advice would be super appreciated as I don't even know if this type of shade cover even has a name. 

Please forgive me if I have confused you all. 

Thank you in advance folks for any advice you maybe able to give me. 

Oldgal-24

Interesting, @Old-gal24.

You could construct the same set-up by offsetting the beams to the neighbours. Theirs appears to be a proprietary system using some type of shade panel, but it looks like a similar frame could be replicated out of timber and shadecloth. I've drawn a rendering below to illustrate better.

Let me know what you think.

Mitchell

Hi @Old-gal24,

Its been a while since I visited these forums, but the way I did it was similar to the "DIY Shade kits W.A" https://m.facebook.com/DIY-Shade-Kits-WA-103995145448906/videos/correct-way-to-fit-channels/60435615... do their system. 

Essentially I attached a V-grip locking strip to the gutter side and one onto the color bond fence (both have been attached by screws) and then attach the shade cloth. 

the V-grip locking strip can be brought at bunnings https://www.bunnings.com.au/locking-strip-v-grip-1-83m-slate-grey_p3300601. Tbh this was the cheapest solution for me and worked well.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Eric

Many thanks for reporting back with your solution Eric (@littlediyman). I trust any of our members wishing to complete a similar project will appreciate the information.

Remember to reach out anytime you need assistance with a project around the home or garden or have something to share with the community. We're here to help.

Mitchell

@MitchellMc  

@littlediyman 

Sorry I still don't get the bracket part...  :unhappy:  Old timers hey!  And being plastic, the temps are so extreme here  - I don't think they would last very long.

## PS:  Just did a google and watched a U-Tube video and discovered exactly how they work.. What an awesome invention..   Next trip to Bunnings and I will check them out.  Many thanks @littlediyman   do you have any photo's you could add of where you have yours installed?                                           # V-Grip locking strip on my shopping list.

I am thinking I will get in and use large black polly and shade cloth, sew seams/channels, and thread the pipe through.  Like a dome.  It's the fixings that I have to check out.  Saddle clamps would possibly do the trick?!     

Oh well too much else to do right now, between days of rain, so I will tackle that task after I get the sides of my house cleared out and pave.   

Thank you  once again for your advice and support.

This Old-gal

@MitchellMc  @littlediyman 

This is EXACTLY what they have done, but their side of the house is wider than mine and I would need to have mine on a much higher pitch to reach the facia like they have done, and there isn't much of my facia available to attach anything too..  :unhappy:

I have been toying at sewing seams in shade cloth and threading the thick black polly *(the type with the blue lines in it) that I made shade house out of to protect my trees and garden for the first 2 or 3 Winters, after I established new gardens, 3/4 years ago. 

I made covers out of 20mt rolls of FROST sheets which I sewed seams in with my sewing machine and slid the pipe through the seams to create large domes.  Like a professional green house.  The rolls of frost protection sheets where 20mt long, not sure how wide, but I used my sewing machine and sewed 5 or 6 rolls together and made covers.  It saved my plants till they had time to get well established..  Jacarandas and the like are now several meters high due to the protection in the first 3/4 years of protection during the winters..    Oh no, sorry I waffled again.

Thank you Mitchell for your amazing diagram.. it's spot on.

Cheers once again

This Old-Gal

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects