Workshop
Start a discussion

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach shade cloth from roof side to Colorbond fence?

littlediyman
New Contributor

How to attach shade cloth from roof side to Colorbond fence?

Hi All, 

Just wanted to know what I can use to attach a shade sail from the roof side (I was planning to use a fixing of some type to fix under the gutter area shown in picture 2) to the top rail of the colourbond fence (shown in picture 3).

Picture 3Picture 3Any help would be great as its my first DIY project in the home.

Picture 1Picture 1

Picture 3Picture 3

Picture 2Picture 2

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to attach shade cloth from roof side to colourbond fence

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @littlediyman. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about attaching a shade sail.

Strictly speaking, neither of those two locations is appropriate to have a shade sail attached to them. The Colorbond capping is not a structural member, and I'm not quite sure what that board is under the gutter. Is it timber? If so, you'd be better off attaching directly to the brick wall. 

If this is just a small shade sail, then you could likely get away with attaching Coolaroo Shade Sail Pad Eyes in both locations. You should find this step-by-step guide useful: How to install a shade sail.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@MitchellMc Thanks for your response, I wanted to install the shade sail the whole length but may not be a good idea without some posts, the piece underneath the gutter is the same material as the gutter.

Cheers

Eric

Concreting in suitable posts would be the way to go, @littlediyman. If that is just steel flashing, I'd suggest using the wall as the anchor point.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects