Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach steel corner post to uneven concrete surface?

Hunjihills
Growing in Experience

How to attach steel corner post to uneven concrete surface?

I have to install a steel post about 2.9m high to attach colorbond fencing along the rear boundary. However there is already concrete from retaining wall so I can't dig down 400mm. How can I securely attach post to uneven concrete surface?

You can see the other steel post in the background that we've been able to dig down and install which was 3.3m long

1000013355.jpg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: 2.9m steel corner post, how do i anchor to already existing concrete installed for retaining wal

Hi @Hunjihills 

Well the easiest option is to try to alter you plan  designs so the post goes in before or after the cement peir for the retaining wall.

The  hardest  option is smashing the original retaining wall cement core and adding  new  concrete for  both the  pole and the retaining wall.

It is do able I would use a crow bar and or a  rotary hammer drill with a  pointed tip.

Sorry no easy options  here.

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to attach steel corner post to uneven concrete surface?

Great to see you participating again on the site @Hunjihills. Trust you've been well. 

I see the knowledgeable @Jewelleryrescue has provided some advice on installing your steel corner post. Let me also mention our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL in case he has anything to add.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Hunjihills 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Jewelleryrescue. I agree with the recommendations made and that is to modify the position of the post so that you won't have to break the corner footing of your retaining wall. Another thing to take into consideration is how you'll be forming the corner of your Colorbond fence if there is no corner post.

It is possible to break the concrete footing of the retaining wall, but it will be involved and will require the use of a pneumatic jack hammer. Plus, you'll need to create a temporary brace for your retaining wall so that it does not give way while the footing is being replaced.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the post installed.

Eric

Re: 2.9m steel corner post, how do i anchor to already existing concrete installed for retaining wal

Many thanks for the reply @Jewelleryrescue. As I suspected it is going to take a lot more sitting around looking at the corner 😂. I'll keep you all updated.

Hunjihills
Growing in Experience

Thanks for the reply @EricL . I won't be removing the existing concrete that is for sure. I will definitely keep you updated on the final outcome.

Hi @Hunjihills 

I know smashing out that concrete looks  hard but I you use an electric Rotary hammer  drill with chisil piont and chisel  blade and  chip way at it I think you will win the battle.

Includes  chisel and  chisel point needed to break up cement  foundation.

Ozito 1500W 5J Rotary Hammer Drill Kit RHD-1550

I/N: 0382377

$99.98

Hunjihills
Growing in Experience

Update. Fence is up. I successfully drilled through the tiles and colorbond fence is completed. Now to take the cover off the pool, clean it and get it up and running. Just in time.... for winter.

PXL_20240318_041348303.jpgPXL_20240318_041335299.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Hunjihills 

Thank you so much for the update, that fence looks great! It's good to see that you did not have to do any major works concerning the concrete base of the fence. It's always good to have a clean pool, even if it is winter.

Again, thanks for sharing a fantastic project.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects