Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to block off holes underneath fence?

CM44
Just Starting Out

How to block off holes underneath fence?

Hello, 

I am adopting a small dog soon and I am concerned that the dog will be able to get out underneath our fence. Our yard is on a slope and one side of the gate is flush with the ground, but the other side is not, leaving a puppy-sized hole to climb through. 

Does anyone have suggestions on how to extend the bottom of the gate? We have attempted to build the grass up with additional soil but it erodes due to natural slope. 

We would prefer NOT to use chicken wire and to find something that blends in with the grass/existing fence. This needs to be a permanent solution that is not an eyesore. 

Yard.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to block off holes underneath fence (open yard) - Fence Extension

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @CM44. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about blocking holes under a fence.

I suggest digging a channel and inserting a 50mm thick treated pine sleeper. You can then screw it into the bottom of the fence for stability, and the soil backfilled up to it. Once it's in place, you can paint the sleeper the same colour as the fence to blend in.

Also, check out this previous discussion for some ideas: How to stop a dog from digging under a fence?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects