Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a Breeze block wall?

roseche
Just Starting Out

How to build a Breeze block wall?

IMG_0181.jpeg

Hello! I am obsessed with these blocks, but unsure how to build a wall with them? previous blocks I have seen have a channel for rebar, but the bunnings ones are flat on all sides, do you just use mortar and that’s it?

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to build a Breeze Block wall

Hi @roseche 

Happy new year

Yes The breeze blocks are nice to work with 

All you need to do is lay some cement footings with  trench mesh in the centre and create a level surface on top of the cement.

I would pour  footings as a rough guide  per height of the block wall

1 brick layer height  250 w 100mm deep  with trench mesh

2 - 3 high  250mm wide  150mm  deep  "                   "

4  High 250mm  - 300  wide  by 300mm deep.   "                  "

The footing sounds   big  but I never had a wall move yet and thats the idea.

Then lay your bricks out on the wall no mortar yet and see if you need to increase the mortar gap slightly to fit a certain  measurement.

You  cant stretch the bricks but you can increase mortar gap. If you get lucky you wont have to cut a  brick,

Or  Plan  your space in multiples of  300mm  (ie 290mm brick +10mm mortar = 300mm)   so  a  1200mm  space will take exactly 4 bricks.

So  Yes simple mortar 10mm bed will cross little footing bumps and imperfections the trick is  have a small level and tap the bricks level with a lump hammer as you go if you  go down take too far take out brick add more mortar and retry.

Using a string line greatly helps here for straightness and it also it is set at 300mm height to get mortar thickness  correct  even  height.

Next   row set to 600mm .

Every now and again eye along your wall and gently tap any wayward  bricks into line.

You can lay the bricks like a stack usually looks best  with this pattern,

They look great  painted.  

Hope this  helps ask  more if this insnt clear

oh, thanks so much! incredibly helpful, can’t wait to get started now :smile: 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @roseche. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about constructing a block wall.

I'm going to unashamedly take full credit for this one. I spoke to abriMASONRY the supplier and their marketing team last year, and told them that we NEED these blocks available for customers as they are so on trend right now. They had the moulds available in storage for them but they had not produced them in years. Looks like they've got them back into the range. I'm really pleased to see that!

Some great information was provided by @Jewelleryrescue there and it sounds like you are all set. Here's a step-by-step guide that should be helpful: How to build a brick wall.

If you weren't already enthused enough, check out this stunning project from @ProjectPete: Poolside timber cabana with concrete bench.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
bodega
Cultivating a Following

Your timing is impeccable @roseche - was literally just scrolling online trying to find a guide as well as a Summer Project.

@Jewelleryrescue - I'm currently looking to build a free standing breeze block wall as a feature wall in my garden. Your instructions are super helpful.

I'm aiming to build a wall 3-4 bricks wide x 4 bricks high, using similar bricks above.

When you have a moment are you able to correct me if I've missed anything?

- Lay cement footing with trench mess/rebars in the centre to create a level area

- Using your guide above, my cement footing needs to be 300mm wide by 300mm deep?

- Do I need to lay a bottom row of cement bricks as a foundation for the breeze blocks as well or is it not necessary if I've laid a concrete footing?

- When I start laying the bricks, should I use rebars in between the bricks as well?

What I'm most worried about is the structure moving and not being stable enough.

Really appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you!

Hi @bodega 

Hi @bodega  your wall sounds  great :0)

Trench  mesh is reo bars connected together so you wont need both.

in Reference to your  question check list

1  The mesh supports the cement footing under load as it is webbing like where as reo bars used for pinning  slabs together.

Sub note. Ie if you butting up against another existing cement slab use  a rotary hammer drill with a  drill bit same size or as reo rod and drill in 200mm  and hammer a 400mm reo rod into the hole until it is  snug so there is 200mm sticking into your new slab footing you can rest the mesh ontop of and tie to. 

This means if there is any earth movement the slabs move together if at all.   I think you are ready for that extra info. :smile:

1a Footings use parrellel form work timbers set them  so the top of the timbers forms to top of the cement desired  level this will make it easy to fill to correct level and simply scrap /screed across the timber to level cement Rough finish  is ok helps mortar bond.  Take your time setting formwork and desired  levels and positions as  this will be your wall base.

1b Pouring footings make sure cement is wet enough to be  free flowing like lava on tv not lumpy. Agitate concrete  to flow out and fill the sides to remove air  pockets. (Tamping down with metal rake etc.)

2.    300 x 300mm  will give you a super rock solid footing. Line the hole with any plastic under the reo as plastic shapes the concrete into a smother rounder edge which is stronger than jaggered concrete with its shape formed by the ground.

3 Now  you have super solid footings only add other bricks if you want them in your design, not neccessary functionally.

4.  Reo  bar is 100% not used in any general brick work I know of and would complicate laying and may even weaken the mortar bed as there is less mortar area.   If you find the bricks squeezing mortor out and the bricks sagging simply leave mortar sit on the bricks until it dries out a bit to support brick wieght (do still spritz the new  brick so its wet to touch.)  

5 Follow you instructions on cement bags for mix ratios..  Footings  use  General  cement

OR  for your  project pre mixed cement and mortar would be easier. ?

Brick mortar   use  brick  mortar ratios  mix water to get a tooth paste like consistancy.  

Do pre wet spray with water  all footings and cement bricks as you lay them for strongest brick work.

@bodega  your  brick  wall will last 100+ years unless a car  hits it first and I hope not .

Footing leave set aweek before  bricks.  The bricks  will dry and form full strength 1 to 2 weeks after setting. You will be able to climb on wall if  done right and  you have all the clues now to  follow that :smile:

Have fun  with bricks.  

bodega
Cultivating a Following

You're an absolute wizard @Jewelleryrescue - will let you know how I go. Thanks so much.

bodega
Cultivating a Following

Hi @Jewelleryrescue

Sorry just have a few more questions, no rush getting back.

Does the concrete footing need to be entirely in ground on all sides? Reason I ask is at the back of the footing my garden drops a level so the back of it might be exposed. I’ll cover the exposed side with something eg retaining wall but it won’t be in ground on that side. Hopefully that makes sense?

Also, the soil under footing is hard light brown clay. Am I correct in still laying crushed rock under the footing for drainage? I’m assuming this will be extra depth I need to dig for the crushed rock, if so how many mm?

I can confirm wall will be 4 breeze blocks wide (1200mm including mortar), and 6 blocks high (1800mm high including mortar).

Will 300mm depth and width for footing be supportive enough?

Thanks again.

Hi @bodega 

Questions are good :smile:

The concrete footing dosnt need to be buried under ground.  If it is strong enough to self support plus the brick  wieght its golden. The other  reason footings are under ground is they can look ugly if left blocky and raw,  It might be nicer having a lower footing and the bricks sitting on it rising up looking  pretty. But good planning can have you footing look nice to as  part of your design if you wish If you back side footing is  exposed and no ones sees it then no need try cover it. But this is your project option to  decide.

IMPORTANT NOTE update you now are planning to go to 1800mm thats 6 Breeze high (including 10mm mortar gaps) and yes confirming 1200mm wide is 4 Breeze blocks.

To go to beyond 4 breeze  blocks I highly recommend building them into a frame to keep them strong.  Notice How the photo in the earlier cabana has a rear timber post against the bricks and a top rail encapuslating above them to another post?  That will keep the brickwork strong if it is ever impacted against by any thing.  If a person was to fall against  a free standing 6 block high wall they have enough possible force and leverage to fracture the mortar from a side impact and cause the wall to topple on to them.  A 4 block high wall can also fracture if hit hard but is stronger lower to the ground and its height has less potental falling brick harm.

So I think those breeze blocks look better framed any how like  a picture frame , So your can use timber posts or more longer lasting steel or aluminim posts each side and a capping across the top. all you need to do is make use the internal dimentions of the frame is 1200 X1800mm  to house the bricks from the top of the planned footings.  You can cement your  posts into your footings as you pour them 1200mm apart inner opening.  Post  length is aprox 520 into the footing ( and 1880 out allowing for a top rail between posts Total length 2.4M  ) so your footing is double depth there a bonus.

300mm  by 300mm concrete footing  and 600mm deep x 300mm for the  posts  made  from  general purpose cement mix (as shown on the cement bag Or  uses sand cement premix is also  fine and plenty strong.)

The sole purpose of a footing is to lock into the ground tighter the better.   Any water movement around it after a fresh pour will serve to bring dirt particals to it and lock it in  even tighter this is good thing and inevitable on the footing sides.  Footings wrapped in plastic are waterproof allready and arnt exposed to ground acidity there for dont need drainage. For the cost of some plastic  concrete is protected.  And it is how things are done in all footing on any building site I have worked on domestic and multi story as soils  vary plastic not necesseary on some drier  soil types..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCoLeusk0oQ  rare  exceptions exist but deeper piers usually dug as  compensation.

Deliberatly adding crushed rock is to invite subsidance and or a river under your footings and delay  the soil locking in your footings process in fact it will be a soggy mess and potential for movement  as dug earth or compacted material is still 50% more loose than surrounding soil and can invite settling of up to 15mm in the first 150mm  of compacted gravel.  This  will not matter on most  home projects as mortar  can compensate. The earth as it is is super strong especially clay and has being compacting for hundereds of  years when we dug the  footing hole out of solid  earth no amount of compacting rock into that can improve on natural soil compaction the trick here is to clean out all loose dirt and rocks in a natural ground trench for site inspection and  best results.   There is  another different situation where the ground has being dug up them put back is the worst case possibility compaction will assist here of original dirt  (Not  sandy)  I would  put in  and follow with wider footings and pre soak the ground as  much as possible  and let it dry out for general project footing settlement.

Gravel is extra digging (better to fill with  cement.) , extra material  cost. delivery charge. Extra for compactor machine hire. for less  benificial  results.

bodega
Cultivating a Following

Hi @Jewelleryrescue

Thanks for getting back, great answers as always.

I think I’ve got almost everything covered here before deep diving.

A few more things that I just want to confirm just to be sure.

I’m thinking of using this Concrete for the footing and posts, will this be ok?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/bastion-20kg-concrete-mix_p0038287

I’d prefer to use pre-mixed as I’m in a small space with not much room to make mess.

Now, the timber posts. Just to be 100% clear:

In my 300mm x 300mm footing, I dig 600mm down for the areas the posts are going into, if so:

Should I cement the posts into their 600mm holes first, THEN add the concrete footing, or should I cement it all at once? Reason I ask is Poolside Cabana guide cemented the posts first, then did the footing. If it doesn’t matter either way, I’ll cement the posts firsts.

Should I leave a 10mm gap for mortar between the two posts and the bricks on both sides?

I noticed the following in the guide:

“There's a 10mm rod through each row of mortar that is set into the timber post for plenty of strength. These Breeze Blocks are made with 20mm channels on two perpendicular sides to make the rod easier to embed.”

(I’m getting the same breeze blocks just FYI)

Let me know your thoughts on that.

Thanks again

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects