Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a back door step?

Jolly181
Building a Reputation

How to build a back door step?

Hi All...

I looked with interest at @GeoffB's lovely Back door landing/step. But there was no mention of tools used or what wood etc. was used...

We have a similar issue as well but I was hoping that someone might know of some prefabricated steps that we could purchase of if not what would be the "BEST" way to accomplish a similar design but not using WOOD..????

My wife would prefer non-paver or wood and with no sharp pointy edges..!!!!!

Please attached image of the area concerned...

Measurements are ApproxMeasurements are ApproxMeasurements are Approx

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Back Door Step...

Hi @Jolly181,

Hopefully, @GeoffB might be able to provide some more information about his project. If you have any specific questions, it could be best to ask them directly over in his discussion on the project.

In @GeoffB's case, it looks like the door threshold was at least three brick courses above ground level, which is too high to step down from. Typically, the minimum step height is 130mm, and the maximum is 225mm. So, your height there looks to be well within specifications.

With a step height of 150mm, that would be on the smaller side for steps. Let's call it 180mm if you include the internal tile height where you'll be stepping from, that's still not high enough to be able to split it into two separate steps as they would both be far under the minimum requirement. 

Perhaps if you let us know exactly what's going on, our knowledgeable members will be able to provide some useful suggestions.  If someone struggles to get over this minimum height step, I could recommend threshold ramps. Just remember that minimum height rise specifications are in place because if the rise isn't noticeable enough, it then becomes a trip hazard.

I look forward to hearing more about the situation and assisting further.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jolly181
Building a Reputation

@MitchellMc  Hi Mitchell...

After reading your reply We find that the Threshold Ramps are EXACTLY what we need to ensure both human and animal can come in and out with safety..!!

Thank You again for the pointers on where to find them in Bunnings as well.!!

Cheers

Julius

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Perfect, Julius (@Jolly181)! I'm glad that the suggestion was helpful.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi,

The rule for steps is,

1. Maximum step height - 190 mm

2. Minimum width of step - 250 mm

There is no minimum step height.

Ther is no maximum step width.

The height of 180 mm can be divided by two. giving you two risers of 90 mm.

The step could be made of two layer of 90 mm x 45 mm od treated pine

Alternatively, you could use 50 mm treated pine sleeper material to make a wide step.

If you would like more detail, just reply to this message.

Jolly181
Building a Reputation

@GeoffB  Thank Geoff... Will come in handy..!!

Cheers

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects