Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a base for patio brick pavers?

DIYDen
Just Starting Out

How to build a base for patio brick pavers?

Hi all, I have recently started my DIY project of laying brick pavers in my patio. It will just be foot traffic, no cars will be driving over it. My house has sandy soil all around and I have spoken to a few people about preparing base layer. Most suggest that a minimum 50mm yellow brickie's sand directly on the natural ground base layer would be sufficient. With that advice, I have gone and compacted the ground layer to prepare and lay brickie's sand over it, however, even after compaction with a plate compactor the base layer does not feel very stable. I am considering excavating further to add a road base layer before putting on the bedding layer. 

Has anyone done their paving with just yellow brickie's sand and were there any issues after? If a road base is recommended, what would you normally?

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Base for Patio Brick Pavers

Hi @DIYDen,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's great to have you with us and starting a new D.I.Y paving project.

My advice would be to add the base layer of compacted road base as it will give a stable surface for the pavers to sit on and allow water to run off without erosion, which I would be concerned would happen if you just used brickies sand. 

I suggest a 50mm layer of Ki Carma 20kg Road Base Landscape Stones as a base for your pavers. With adequate compaction, you will get a far greater lifetime than you would just using brickies sand.

I'd also suggest having a look at these helpful articles for some guidance on the process of preparing for and laying pavers:

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects