Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a basic pergola?

Ange11
Growing in Experience

How to build a basic pergola?

Hi Guys, I'm looking to build a small pergola off the back of my house. 

The slab is 2.4d x 3.160w

Something like in the photo but I'm not sure what size timber & fixings to use (& so it doesn't look out of proportion). 

I have 2nd hand corrugated iron for the roof but I'm also considering just using shade cloth. I hope my indecision there doesn't alter what timber I'd use too much if at all. 

Unfortunately the budget is quite tight.

Thanks in advance

Ange

Pergola-31-finished-2-lg.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Basic Pergola advice please

Hi @Ange11,

That sounds like a fantastic project. You should find this step-by-step guide useful: How to build a pergola. Are you planning on having the pergola free-standing or connected to your house? If you're connecting it, you might like to post some images of the area, so our members have a better idea of what you're working with. They'll then be able to give more specific advice tailored to your needs.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Ange11
Growing in Experience

Thanks @MitchellMc yes I've looked at the videos but I'm just not sure what size timber to get.

This is what I'd like to build but can I replace the timber with strapping in the 2 areas marked in the below photo please considering the pergola is only small? 

IMG_8362_LI.jpg

IMG_8416_LI.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Ange11

Those timber battens you've indicated with an arrow serve to support the structure of the pergola and also act as mounting points for the polycarbonate roofing. They also prevent the polycarbonate from sagging. Using steel strapping might work but it might not be good for the polycarbonate roof as the steel will heat up intensely and will have a negative effect on the roofing and cause it to get damaged. 

You might find these previous discussions helpful:

Let me tag our experienced members @tom_builds and @woodalwaysworks for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Ange11
Growing in Experience

Thanks @EricL I'm either going to do a shade cloth or c/iron roof but the same structure as the  (2) photos added where the rafters sit inside the beams not on top of them.

If someone could do me a material list like they did for v1cL0rd that would be great.

I hope I don't have to use the same size timber because my pergola is a lot smaller.

I had a look at the 185x30x6 as a possibility for the beams but I'm unsure what would suit as rafters & can you suggest screw & brackets please?

Thanks Ange 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Ange11

Looking at the photo you posted, I suggest using Treated Pine Outdoor Timber Framing 140 x 45mm for the beam and Treated Pine Outdoor Timber Framing 90 x 45mm for the rafters. I recommend using 100 x 100mm 3.0m Rough Sawn H4 Treated Pine for your posts. You can use Pryda Joist Hanger Stainless Steel Suits 45 x 90mm to join the rafters to the beam. Use Pryda 35 x 3.15mm Timber Connector Nails - 1kg to fix the joist hanger onto the timber.

I recommend following the rest of the instructions on the How to build a pergola guide to join your timber together.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your Pergola built and ready for use. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Ange11
Growing in Experience

Thanks so much for that @EricL as that was the only thing holding me back.

I hope to be able to post photos of it finished in a few weeks time.

Oh the only other thing is what do I use to screw the beams off to the posts with once I've checked them in please? Are bugle screws suitable or are coach bolts a better choice please?

Thank you Angie

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Ange11,

It's great to see @EricL has been offering some excellent advice. For joining the beams to the posts, I'd recommend cup head bolts. The bolts will add a substantial amount of rigidity to the joins. You could use coach bolts if you wish, but they don't have quite as much compressive force.

Please keep us updated and reach out if you need further assistance.

Mitchell

Hey @Ange11 

You can also take a look at my project here: https://www.workshop.bunnings.com.au/t5/Outdoor/Three-tier-deck-and-pergola/td-p/62422/page/2

I used 140x45 for the rafters and 240x45 for the beams, and a 115mm Merbau laminated post. And I used roof extenda brackets to connect the other side to my house.

Any questions, let me know.

Regards

Itai

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects