Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a battened screen adjacent to Colorbond fence?

AJ-DIYer
Building a Reputation

How to build a battened screen adjacent to Colorbond fence?

Hi,

I am planning to build something like the photo attached below adjacent to my colourbond fence in the backyard. 

I dont want to attach the screen directly to the colourbond fence. 

What are my options here? One option I can think of is to Add a few posts into the ground then run a timber across between the posts then put the batten wood on the front of it. 

Screenshot_20221029-011547_Pinterest.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to build a batten screen adjacent to colourbond fence?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @AJ-DIYer. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about creating a battened screen.

Your first option sounds like a solid plan to me and would be my recommendation. I've constructed a rendering for you below, which should help illustrate my suggested method. You'd concrete in some H4-treated Pine posts and screw H3-treated 90 x 45mm timber to them. You'll then be able to screw your batons to the horizontal timbers. Consider screening panels instead of individual batons, as they could be more economical and would be easier to install.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Screen.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
AJ-DIYer
Building a Reputation

Re: How to build a battened screen adjacent to Colorbond fence?

Thanks Mitchell for the response and advice.

Your suggestion of using screens is an option I might consider as I have heard the batons can turn out to be very costly. 

Does Bunnings sell the baton timbers just for me to see how much they are?

Also, do I need to build that structure for the screens? Or they can be mounted directly on the fence?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Using batons will always be costly @AJ-DIYer. They need to be milled from clear timber that is free from knots. Here are some Merbau screening options

Doing some quick calculations, the 1800 x 902mm Pre-Oiled Merbau Alternating Slat Fence Panel will cost $79 per 900mm of the fence. If we take a 42 x 18mm 2.7m FJ Pre Oiled Merbau Screening and convert its price into an 1800mm equivalent (not that there is that option), it would be $6 per length at 42mm wide. You'd need around 21 lengths to cover the same 900mm width as the panel. Let's minus three lengths to compensate for the gaps between the batons. That's still $108 to do the same width in batons. If you were to use the available 2.7m length of baton, that would be $169 per 900mm width.

Given that the screening panels come pre-assembled, they are not a bad option. Although the screens are rigid, they'll still need to be mounted to something. You could mount them to your fence, but that would be up to you to decide whether you're willing to hang that weight off the fence. I'd advise sitting them on top of some timber or brick to bear their weight and screwing them into the fence to pin them to it. That way, the fence isn't taking the weight.

Mitchell

AJ-DIYer
Building a Reputation

Thanks for the details.

Would I be able to change the merbau screen colour to match the colour of the batten in the photo as in light golden colour?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Not with ease, @AJ-DIYer

Merbau requires some protection from the elements, and typically, that's in the form of an oil. Oil applied to Merbau brings out the natural darker tones. You could try stripping the oil and colouring out of the screening until you reach a lighter shade and then sealing it with an exterior varnish. All a bit experimental, though.

You'd likely need to use Tasmanian oak for a lighter shade like that.

Mitchell

AJ-DIYer
Building a Reputation

Thanks for the help. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects