Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a bed for a Ford Econovan campervan?

Gini
Getting Established

How to build a bed for a Ford Econovan campervan?

Hello Community,

We just finished the floor of our new van and start the new project this week - the bed.

We have a Ford econovan, 1994. We would like to do the bed like this one:

Bed Minute 18 

Do you have experience with building a bed in a camper van or any advise that would be helpful? Like what kind of wood is really good or maybe a more easy way to build a bed :wink: 

Thank you a lot, 

Gini

100098.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to build a bed for a Ford Econovan campervan?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Gini and many thanks for your question. This must be an exciting time for you fitting out your campervan. I'm sure there will be a lot of members keen to follow your progress as vans are so popular at the moment. 

Let me tag experienced caravan renovators @twocutekelpies and @Peggers to see if they might like to kick off the discussion before our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL is back on the site this afternoon. And here's a couple of previous discussions that you might like to check out: 

Hope that helps,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Gini

I'm a big fan of van conversions. Thanks for including the link, after watching the video, there are just so many options that are available to you when it comes to making a bed for your van. Your bed can transform and take up a few functions, from a storage area, seat, and finally a bed. I suppose it all comes down to how big you want it to be and how much space you want to allocate for it.

A good rule of thumb when choosing timber for van use, make sure that it is untreated. Untreated timber means that no chemical preservatives were pumped into it. Using untreated timber means that it is ok to be in contact with and it will not release noxious fumes into your van.

If I were building a bed for my van some of the things I would want to do is to be able to store my clothes, cooking gear and canned goods. I would make it as big as possible so that I can get maximum storage underneath my bed. Everything I would want to bring on my trip should fit under my bed. In this manner, you'll get maximum sleeping space and not feel crowded in and you won't have to make anything complicated. At the foot of your bed will be a table where you can eat and work on. 

The things you build into your van will depend a lot on what you're planning to do. Will you be going to places with no campsites? Will you be camping for an extended period of time? Keep these things in mind when planning your fit-out. I've placed a basic sketch of a timber bed to give you ideas on how you can lay it out in your van.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the start of the fit-out of your van.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Gini
Getting Established

Nice thank you so much Jason! Can't wait to start the project :laugh: 

Gini
Getting Established

Wooow Eric thanks a lot! So many good information! Iam so happy I found this opportunity here to connect with people like you!

We just wait for some money and then we get startet. The advise with the wood is so helpful!

And of course I will send pictures when the project is finished :smile:

Cheers, gini

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects