Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a built-in BBQ frame?

joel_b456
Just Starting Out

How to build a built-in BBQ frame?

Hi i just wanted some help for building a built in bbq frame.

i am building a frame out of timber for a built in bbq and was going to have 2 sheets of this:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/hume-prima-ceramic-tile-underlay-1800-x-900-x-6mm-1-62sqm_p0710334

in between the bbq and the timber frame.

i understand you need 450mm clearance from combustible materials but what if there is a barrier like i have planned with 2 sheets of 6mm tile underlay

it is fire rated. Classified as incombustible. 

any help on this please?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a built-in BBQ frame?

Hello @joel_b456 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about the Hume Prima Ceramic Tile Underlay 1800 x 900 x 6mm 1.62sqm.

Allow me to make further inquiries regarding this particular setup you're trying to do. Although the tile underlay is fire resistant, I'm not so sure about its ability to absorb heat for a long period of time. As soon as I have more information, I'll post it here straight away.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a built-in BBQ frame?

Hello @joel_b456 

I've just been in contact with Hume's technical department, and they've relayed to me that that product has not been tested in that kind of set-up or environment. They don't recommend using it in that manner. Have you drawn up a plan for your built-in barbeque? Would it be possible for you to share a picture of it? This will give our members a chance to assess the cabinet configuration. We can then make recommendations on how to proceed.

One of the options that came to mind was using a 610 x 406 x 30mm Travertine Natural Stone Paver side by side. Being 20mm thick and made of a natural product it will definitely be a much better base for the barbeque. For a stronger base you could get a thicker paver, but the drawback of course is that it gets much heavier.

We look forward to seeing your cabinet plans.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects