Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a cat enclosure?

tuckes
Just Starting Out

How to build a cat enclosure?

I am interested in building the cat enclosure from March 2020

Are there any specs on how to build measurements materials needed etc 

Tuckes new member 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a cat enclosure?

Hello @tuckes 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about building a cat enclosure.

Are you referring to this discussion - DIY cat enclosure by @shakthi

Before we discuss materials, would it be possible for you to post a few photos of the area where you plan to build the cat enclosure? Can you also please tell us the approximate size you need for your enclosure? This will give our members a chance to assess the area. We can then make recommendations on how to build the frame for the enclosure.

If the enclosure will be left outside and uncovered, I suggest using H3 treated timber framing. This type of timber is rated for outside use and can withstand attacks from mould, mildew and insects.

As for the mesh, I recommend using ordinary chicken mesh to prevent the cats from escaping.

If you need a hand posting the photos, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
tuckes
Just Starting Out

Thanks Eric,

Yes I am referring to the diy from shakthi. It will be outside approx.4metres length 1 metre width and 1.5 metres high.

20230609_123638.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @tuckes,

I'd recommend you start by installing eight 1800mm posts in concrete footers to a depth of 30cm. If you use these 90 x 90mm 3.6m Post F7 H4 Treated Pine Premium KD you'll get two posts out of each length. That's not particularly deep for a footer but is enough to hold your posts in position whilst you construct the frame. I'd suggest running some 150 x 25mm 4.8m Plinth H4 Treated Pine Sawn Wet around the base of the posts on all four sides and attaching it to them with treated Pine screws. This will give you a solid board to attach your mesh to. 

For the roof structure, I'd be using 90 x 45mm H3 treated Pine. Once again, you'll be running it around the top of the posts and screwing into them. Add some perpendicular lengths across the span to reinforce the structure and add mounting points for your mesh. 

A door can then be created with your Pine offcuts, or you might like to look at our Fortress gates system for an easy, quick and exceptionally strong solution.

You can use chicken netting wire for the mesh and hammering staples in is a good way to fix it to the frame. Alternatively, there a several Rapidmesh panels that you could use.

Here's a rendering I created for you that should hopefully assist in understanding the construction methods.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Thanks Mitchell for the information you have provided.

I didn't really want to cement into the ground and would like to move it when the grass is mowed.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's fine, @tuckes; you can use the same design.  That's a large structure, so to reduce weight, I suggest you swap the larger posts out and just use 90 x 45mm timber to create the uprights. Also, you might want to add some angle brackets to the corner joints for rigidity when moving the structure.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects