Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a deck for an outdoor barrel sauna?

RMac
Getting Established

How to build a deck for an outdoor barrel sauna?

Good evening team!

I have purchased an outdoor barrel sauna (assembling that thing is going to be a post in itself!) and I need to build a deck to support it. 

Some basic information:

1. Sauna weighs 400kg without humans in it.

2. Is 191cm wide and 224cm long/deep.

3. I would like to match this with the current decking in place which is an engineered wood.

4. The deck would kinda be nudging an easement, so perhaps floating is needed?

The Area

This is the garden bed up against the fence. It used to have this weird lean to structure that housed a bunch of shade plants. You can see the bed sits a little above the current deck, and I'm happy for the proposed deck to sit a 'step up' above the current deck. Note, I will be relocating that hose/tap currently in place. 

bed.jpeg

The Current Decking Material

Would be ideal to match to the current decking material. 

deck.jpeg

The Space and The Sauna

Here are the dimensions of the garden bed, with the sauna overlayed (blue). For aesthetics, I would prefer to have the sauna in the center of this space, so I'm guessing the deck will need to jut out a little and sit on top/hang over the current deck. The proposed deck doesn't have to take up this entire area, but I think some space either side of the sauna would be great to place some potted plants, and an outdoor shower. Size would be also dictated by whatever I can build in Victoria without a permit.

Dimensions of garden bed and sauna overlayedDimensions of garden bed and sauna overlayed

Any advice on design, materials, considerations/options would be amazing.

Thanks

Rod

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to Build a Deck for an Outdoor Barrel Sauna?

Hello @RMac (Rod)

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your questions about building a deck for your Outdoor Barrel Sauna.

Thanks for sharing photos and measurements of the area. I had a quick look at the Outdoor Barrel Sauna models and you're absolutely correct those things are massive. It will definitely need a post for itself when you assemble it. To help us get started, would it be possible for you to post the name and model number of the sauna so that we can do some sketches of how it's going to look once it's assembled and installed?

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
RMac
Getting Established

Thanks Eric!

https://alpinespas.com.au/shop/barrel-sauna/

this is the model I have purchased. 

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to build a deck for an outdoor barrel sauna?

Following as a general interest, would love to see what you two come up with. I previously wanted a Barrel Sauna for our backyard before I discovered ones I can install inside (such as The Oslo), the things are massive and it's unreal they come in kits! 

Remarka6le
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @RMac,

Your deck must adhere to standard weight-bearing requirements and then have the capacity to hold the additional weight of the sauna. Here's a rendering I threw together of what a standard deck of this size might look like. The frame and joists could be constructed of 90 x 45mm timber, and the deck would be adequate for normal use.

1AA.png

For a deck that will support a sauna's weight and the occupant's, you'd need to at least double up on everything. I'd suggest using 140 x 45mm timber and laminating two together for each joist. Ideally, you'd like the feet to be sitting directly above a supported joist where the weight of it transfers straight down to the ground. This might be overkill, but it's hard to tell unless you have an engineer design the plans. Here are a few renders to give you an idea of what that might look like. Any additional deck space outside the sauna's footprint can be constructed of light calibre timber to cut costs.

1.png2.png3.png4.png

Before constructing the deck, you'll need to carefully prepare the area to avoid subsidence issues. I'd recommend removing soil from the garden bed until you are at least level with the current deck, if not lower. I'd prefer at least 100mm lower as you'll need to run over the area with a compactor and add some height back to the area with drainage gravel.

Before starting construction, I'd suggest contacting your local council to enquire about the requirements for such a build. The deck sounds like it wouldn't need approval, but you'd want to make sure that by putting the sauna on it, it doesn't put it into another category where it does. They'll also be able to let you know the max square meterage before you need to apply for approval. 

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Hi Rod (@RMac),

Eric and I were chatting about your project and wanted to know whether you'd considered turning the sauna side on and placing it in the top left-hand side of the yard. You could level the area and pour a slab for it to sit on. That way, you wouldn't have to construct a heavy-duty deck and instead could create a standard deck and include perhaps a decking-clad bench seat for when you're coming in and out of the sauna.

Instead of walking straight up and into the sauna, you'd step onto the deck and turn left to enter the door. If you were to plant bamboo along the side of the sauna to conceal it, it could look stunning. We also noticed that the sauna itself was elevated on the feet. So if you're going to have the front of it right on the edge of the new deck, there's quite a high step up onto it.

Mitchell

loc.png

RMac
Getting Established

Hey Mitchell,

That deck is looking pretty complicated! Aesthetically I do have my heart set on having the sauna face forward. I have measured out having the sauna around the center line, and it does fit with a little tolerance of the current deck.

The slab seems like a good option, however I'm wondering what your thoughts are on building a compressed rock/gravel bed for it to sit on? Im assuming we could place the feet of the sauna on dug in blocks (or equivalent). Whatever makes it the least likely to shift. I think this would look much more organic and we have a ridiculously tree/garden filled block.

See below for inspiration. Is it possible to dig down, build a bed of crushed rock (I'm guessing in a frame), to a level so that the sauna entry is the same height as the current deck?

crushed-rock.pngcrushed-rock-2.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi Rod (@RMac

I was thinking along the same lines where you could build a concrete pad and then cover it with gravel to disguise it. The outside of course would be clad in timber to disguise it and make people think it's made out of timber. Rather than bringing the sauna to the deck why not bring the deck to the sauna? I suggest building the deck below to the same height as the first step of the sauna. In this manner, there are fewer tripping hazards as you approach and enter the sauna.

Eric

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Sorry, Rod (@RMac). I should have been more specific. The concrete pad is just for a solid base; you'd be covering that with a more aesthetically pleasing topping like crushed granite. A compacted bed of roadbase, which is then topped with crushed rock enclosed by a frame, would also work. However, you'd need an area of soil that could accommodate the sauna's footprint. When you mentioned that you've "measured out having the sauna around the centre line, and it does fit with a little tolerance of the current deck.", does that mean that in your preferred location, you could fit it without overhanging the deck? If so, fantastic. 

Deck's are typically designed to hold the weight of people and a few additional items like BBQs and table settings. With an additional 400 kg on the deck, it will become pretty complicated. That's why I'd prefer to lay it on a compacted base. Not only would that save a heap of money which could be spent on accessorising the area, but it's a more solid solution.

Your inspiration pictures look great and are similar to what I'd envisaged. My only concern with digging down is how close it will be to the rear fence line. You might need to add an additional treated Pine slab to the bottom of the fence posts to ensure you don't undermine the property next door.

Mitchell

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi Rod  (@RMac)

I've drawn up some basic sketches with the measurements you've indicated. Please note that the deck I've drawn up is not included in your measurements, but you can clearly see that the sauna takes up a great deal of space. I suggest getting some string line or a spray marker so you can outline the size of the barrel sauna. This will give you a much better idea of the space the sauna will occupy thus giving you an approximation of what you can put around it.

Have a good look and if you want items moved around please let me know.

Eric

Rods Deck and Sauna1.jpgRods Deck and Sauna2.jpgRods Deck and Sauna3.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects